How to change "Vault" to "Mountable" state

gmoores11

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
In the past I have been using DRM to move tapes from a small offsite DR library to a tape storage area, and back again, as tapes get reclaimed and go empty/scratch. I have recently expanded the DR library so that it can hold all the offsite tapes. I'd like to move the tapes that are currently in a "vault" state (and still contain plenty of data) back into the library and change them to a "mountable" state, but I don't seem to be able to use MOVE DRMEDIA, as there are only certain valid wherestate/tostate moves you can do.

Is there some trick? Has anyone done this before? I can still check the tapes in, however, I think they will still be treated as if they are not in the library for reclamation purposes, and I want to be able to keep all the reclamation process for the offsite copy pools within the offsite DR library (ie. not use use the tapes drives/tape volumes in a different library containing the primary storage pools for part of the process). Alternatively, I could just let regular reclamation, etc. occur, but I'd prefer not to wait weeks or more for the offsite data to end up back in the offsite DR library that way. In the end, I won't need to use DRM to move tapes in and out of the offsite DR library.

I am a bit confused by your description. DRM is generally used to take copypool and DB backup tapes out of your primary library and to some external location. From your post it appears instead you were using it to eject tapes out of your DR library.

The only scenario that springs to mind, and please correct, is that
  • copypool/DB backup data is sent to DR library over a LAN/WAN link
  • the move drm commands are initiated by specifying volsers and not by moving all volumes in a given state
If the above is true and you now have enough space in the DR library to house all copypool and DB tapes then you can just turn DRM off and not worry about it since it is not really relevant where tape movement is not performed.

Hi,

update the volume from access "offsite" to access "readwrite" and check the tape back into the library as "private" - then DRM sees its state as "Mountable"

Harry

Harry:

Thanks, that worked perfectly.

rmazzon:

Sorry that the explanation was not more clear. Was trying to keep a longer description short enough so that people would not give up reading before thinking about the question.

FYI: The DR library originally started out as just part of a DR site in one of our other locations. Over time the "production site" library got too small, and I moved the copy pools from there over to the DR site library, making the "DR library" actually part of our "production site". This accomplished a number of things. The copy pools were actually "offsite", and freed up space for the primary storage pools, however, I still used DRM to move tapes in/out of the "DR library" since it was smaller than the "production library". Then more growing occurred and i no longer needed to use DRM to move tapes in/out of the "DR library". What I was tying to do was expedite getting all the "offsite" tapes into the "DR library".

Back