How is VTL better than disk storagepool?

Legless

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I saw a presentation the other day on VTL, and found myself wondering how it was better than just using a great big disk-base storage pool?

I think I get the basic idea of subdividing the disk into virtual tapes... Yet I fail to see the advantage of doing that.

Can anyone help me understand?

Thank you,
Legless.

VTL's

VTL's are useful when you are wanting to do LAN-FREE. So when you backup alot of data you can use the disk to do LAN-FREE. You can also dedicate drives to do backup and restores of NDMP. You also get better perfomance since it has CPU in front of it and can process the data faster. I love our VTL but I would look at only de-dupe ones now but most of them doing that anyways.

VTL's are useful when you are wanting to do LAN-FREE. So when you backup alot of data you can use the disk to do LAN-FREE. You can also dedicate drives to do backup and restores of NDMP. You also get better perfomance since it has CPU in front of it and can process the data faster. I love our VTL but I would look at only de-dupe ones now but most of them doing that anyways.

Ahhh I see. Thank you for your response.

Another advantage of VTL oover Diskpool is that you can have the hardware conpression card so you can have HW compression. I do have the same compression as my LTO3 tape libraries..

If you configure you diskpool in file level access.. you can do prety much the same thing as a VTL.. Dont know if you can do lanfree with file base diskpool... I think you need another software from IBM to do it..

The draw back with a VTL is configuration all the Virtual Tape drives.. you have to define them.. and if you have a librarie manager.. you have to define the path for every TSM instance.. With file level diskpool.. just create an other volumes and you done.

Last edited:
We switch our SAP backup direct to tapes to our VTL.. our SAP backup are still running through network.. we have the same performance..... we will go lannfree in 2 our 3 month

Back