How do I tell how many CPU's are licensed

thekid241

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
How do I tell how many CPU's are licensed on my TSM server. When I run a "q lic" I get the out put below. I replaced the actual values with "000" but does the "Number of Managed System for LAN licensed:" equal the number of CPU licenses?

Number of Managed System for LAN in use: 000

Number of Managed System for LAN licensed: 000

Hey guys and gals, can some one please help me out with this???? It's really important and I know it's a quick and easy answer... Thanks for any help in advance.

Licensing is not at the CPU level - its at the register node level.

How many clients to you intend to backup up vs what is registered?

That is the question

I have 367 Nodes registered in TSM and and backing up all of them. How do I tell how many I am licensed for? Thanks again!

This is now a question for your manager and/or procurement officer to answer.

Now here is the kicker - TSM 5.3 does not care anymore - there are three license files to register. The use of the nodelock file is no longer valid.

So you are based on the honor system from then on.

Running 5.2 and when I run a "q lic" I get "Number of Managed System for LAN licensed: 425" does that mean that I can back up 425 LAN nodes? Thank you so much for you quick responses!

yes

You should always backup your environment based on the need and then report any differences to your management teams for appendums. If you must backup more = then back-'m up and report the difference. I do not believe any manager will deny service.

Steve you are a gentleman and a scholar and there are very few of us left! Thanks again!

Steve could you tell us how is the Licensing in v 5.3??

TSM licensing is no longer based on registered nodes, but on CPUs. That info is not available with TSM and you will have to look to others within your organization (or do a count yourself) to find out how many total CPUs is TSM installed to.

Keep in mind that you must add the CPUs for the TSM server to the total CPU count.

Michael

Back