How do I set up storing 2 versions of a file on disks and 10 on tapes?

davas

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi, I need help setting up policies. I make a backup in disk pool and in parallel in tapepool. To save space on disks, I need to store only 2 versions of the file there, as many as possible on tapes. Question: How can I configure the policy so that 2 versions of the file are stored on disks and 10 on tapes, for example?

PREDATAR Control23

You can't do that because migration from the disk to the tape pool is not based on versions, but rather on a percentage of the space.

You can however make your disk pool an active-data pool, so this means that it will keep the active (latest) version of each file in that pool, and migrate the inactives to the next pool which should be your tape pool. So you'd have 1 on disk and 11 on tape.

More info:

PREDATAR Control23

Oh, and while both disk pools and file pools both store data on disk, you should use a file pool with defined volumes. The block size for file pools is larger and performs better than the disk pool. And the reason for defining volumes instead of using scratch is to avoid disk fragmentation which in the long run could hurt performance.