How do I know which tapes have been written to most often/least?

rbnllobertk

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

We are working on implementing a new policy of refreshing our tape pool with new ones, while destroying the oldest ones, but we'd like to base it the number of reads/writes. Any thoughts? Thanks every1!

-Robert

PREDATAR Control23

Thank youm but how can i know which tapes have been used the most and the least?

PREDATAR Control23

Assuming that your volhistory is not purged periodically a record of every time a tape is added to or removed from an stgpool will be recorded. A query like this will give you the volume list in order of date used. These would be amongst your oldest used tapes.

select volume_name as "Volume ",date_time as "Date/Time " from volhistory where type='STGNEW' order by date_time

Volume Date/Time
------------------ -------------------------------
T01042 2006-02-28 13:01:03.000000
T01043 2006-02-28 13:01:07.000000
T01044 2006-02-28 16:00:56.000000

Similarly, you can query to determine the number of times a tape was added to a stgpool, and that could very loosely correlate to an approximation of how often it was used. This is not the same as the number of times it was mounted. it also does not include the number of times the tape may have been used for a DB backup, export, DBSnap etc.

select volume_name, count(*) from volhistory where type='STGNEW' group by volume_name order by 2 desc

VOLUME_NAME Unnamed[2]
------------------ -----------
T01050 38
T01801 37
T01088 34

Or you can simplify it even more to this to give a raw count of the number of times a tape is recorded in the volhistory table.

select volume_name, count(*) from volhistory group by volume_name order by 2 desc

Of course you would then need to determine which of these tapes are empty so they can be ejected and replaced with tapes using a different volser.

PREDATAR Control23

I have a similar request, however is there a way to query Tape Media in Tapepool and order by Date Last Writen or Date Last read and easily view those dates?

PREDATAR Control23

I have a similar request, however is there a way to query Tape Media in Tapepool and order by Date Last Writen or Date Last read and easily view those dates?
That post was 6 years old. Not sure those folks are still around. You'd be better off starting a new thread with your question an provide more details, I'm not 100% sure what you are asking.