How can i see a Data Domain NFS mount on my TSM Server Version 6?

NasriSaleh

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
hi! your technical help is greatly appreciate it! thank you!
Where do i enter the mount point (/data/col1/backup/tsm/michigan) from my Data Domain on TSM?
is there a config file on the TSM Backup Server itself? or is there a Re-SCAN for new mounts? or CLI ?

adsm> define path db19300 device=/data/col1/backup/tsm/michigan
ANR2022E DEFINE PATH: One or more parameters are missing.
ANS8001I Return code 3.

Thank you!
there is an NFS mount ready on my Dato Domain and my AIX have access/mounted. I create the device class on TSM but i am missing the "scan" or define path to backup/access the NFS/Storage Pool.

Hi

I think this is what you are looking for:

A nfs mount is treated like a file.

deffine devcl nfsstorage devt=file dire=/data/col1/backup/tsm/michigan maxcap=16G mountli=20

Then define a stgpool to use it

define stg bigdisk nfsstorage maxscr=1000

Great! Hi Trident, thank yo very much for your response.

The "Directory=" definition worked excellent!! big thank you! here it is:

adsm> update devclass db19300 Directory=/dd19300/tsmahoc01/db19300/

I run an "export" test from TSM and i am writing to the new directory -which it is an NFS mount created on a Data Domain 9300-

Here it is a burning question: I created the Device Class "DB19300" using CLI:
adsm> DEFINE DEVCLASS DB19300 DEVTYPE=FILE MAXCAPACITY=100G MOUNTLIMIT=100
ANR2203I Device class DB19300 defined.
Then, i defined the storage pool "DB19300" using TSM GUI.

here the CLI outputs:
adsm> query devclass db19300
Device Device Storage Device Format Est/Max Mount
Class Access Pool Type Capacity Limit
Name Strategy Count (MB)
--------- ---------- ------- --------- ------ -------- ------
DB19300 Sequential 1 FILE DRIVE 102,400. 0 100

adsm>
adsm> query stgpool db19300
Storage Device Estimated Pct Pct High Low Next
Pool Name Class Name Capacity Util Migr Mig Mig Storage
Pct Pct Pool
----------- ---------- ---------- ----- ----- ---- --- -----------
DB19300 DB19300 0.0 M 0.0 100.0 90 70

My goal is to be able to use the "Export" feature to Export Client's backed up data to the new StgPool "DB19300" (located on an NFS on a new Data Domain 9300).

Please notice the "Est/Max Capacity (MB)" for the "DB19300" set to the "MAXCAPACITY=100G" (or 102,400.0 MB) i entered.

--> If i "export" a node with 850GigaBytes of data, will TSM create "additional" volume.EXP files until all client's backed up data is exported? in this example, the NFS mount will ended up having 8 "<xyz-number123+n>.exp" files plus the last "<xyz-number123+n>.EXP" file being used to about 50% equals 850GigaBytes. There will be a total of 9 Export files. right?

Is my DevClass "DB19300" and StgPool "DB19300" setup to do this Export (automatically)?

Or, do i need to define the DevClass with "MAXCAPACITY= 900G"? to accommodate this client. I would expect (the prefer choice) TSM create "automatically" additional Export files until all client's backed up is exported (complete the export - just like backups create new .BFS volume files)

Thank you very much for your response.

Nasri
if easier, my cellular: +001.586.922.9150

For reference, please find attached a compared of the Storage Pool and Device Class of a currently in use BD1 to the new "DB19300" i created here.

DeviceClassCompareDB1andDB19300-ReDataR2f.jpg
StoragePoolsCompareDB1andDB19300-RefDataR1.jpg

Attachments

• DeviceClassCompareDB1andDB19300-ReDataR2f.jpg
    DeviceClassCompareDB1andDB19300-ReDataR2f.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 1
  • StoragePoolsCompareDB1andDB19300-RefDataR1.jpg
    StoragePoolsCompareDB1andDB19300-RefDataR1.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi,
The maxcap is the size that SP/tsm will use when writing data to nfs. You can compare it it how large is a tape.So, yes, SP will just use more volumes until export is complete.

great! thank you very much.

We are starting the export of clients later this week.

Question: I run a test by exporting one client. What CLI command can i run to see the completed Export?

Please reference attached image from TSM log indicating the export completed success -does the Export look successful? thank you again

Nasri

Attachments

• TSM-ExportTestingOneClient-RefDataR1.jpg
    TSM-ExportTestingOneClient-RefDataR1.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi Trident,
Thank you indeed for your support on this project.

Would you please advise on the following question: I exported the Node's backed up data to a new Data Domain 9300. Do i need to Export the TSM Server data to be able to restore the Node's Data? or this Export is for restoring the TSM Server itself (such as configuration files)? please see attached image. thank you for response. Nasri

Attachments

• TSM-Export-ServerData-Ref2.jpg
    TSM-Export-ServerData-Ref2.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1
I found this from the manual - it looks like this ""Exporting Server Data" backups more than just the TSM Server configuration files themselves based on this entry below:
  • Backed up, archived, and space-managed files

Exporting Server Data
When you issue the EXPORT SERVER command, the server exports all server control information. You can also export file data information with the EXPORT SERVER command.

For example, you want to export definitions and all file data to four defined tape cartridges, which are supported by the TAPECLASS device class. You want ADSM to use scratch volumes if the four volumes are not enough, and so you use the default of SCRATCH=YES. To issue this command, enter:

export server devclass=tapeclass
volumenames=dsm001,dsm002,dsm003,dsm004 filedata=all

During the export process, ADSM exports definition information before it exports file data information. This ensures that definition information is stored on the first tape volumes. This process allows you to mount a minimum number of tapes during the import process, if your goal is to copy only control information to the target server.

In the example above, the server exports:

• Administrator definitions
  • Client node definitions
  • Policy domain, policy set, management class, and copy group definitions
  • Schedule definitions and client node associations
  • File space definitions
  • File space authorization rules
  • Backed up, archived, and space-managed files
Thank you,

Nasri

hi Trident,
i have a burning question hoping you can please brighten my day: My Export command is working and i can see the .EXP files being written to the new Data Domain.
From my TSM adsm> command line, how can i list the .EXP volumes being written to the Data Domain? for example: adsm> query vol * devclass=DD9300EXPLOC

I am able to see volumes for DB1 but where the the .EXP volumes?
please see attached images - i compared Device Classes: DB1 and DD9300EXPLOC

Thank you very much for your response,

Nasri

Attachments

• DevClassDetailsDD9300EXPLOC-Take1.jpg
    DevClassDetailsDD9300EXPLOC-Take1.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 0
  • StgPoolDetails-DD9300EXPLOC.jpg
    StgPoolDetails-DD9300EXPLOC.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CompareVolumesDB1andDD9300EXPLOC-test1.jpg
    CompareVolumesDB1andDD9300EXPLOC-test1.jpg