Hints on certification

chad_small

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.tsmadmin.com
As a previous TSM instructor I have been able to identify the key areas of studying that are needed for success in certification.

1. You will live and die by IBM's network transfer rate's table. That is the standard for IBM answers throughout the test. It is available in the rebooks and in the TSM Advance Administration class books. Learn it, live it, love it. It is actually pretty accurate if not a little conservative on average rates, but will give you the correct answer every time.

2. Know your DB, LOG, and STORAGE POOL creation and allocation procedures (i.e. Know how to size the DB if Y number of files will be backed up and X number of versions kept considering 600 bytes per file in storage). Also understand the DB Cache Hit and Cache Wait Percentage best practice and settings, along with the LOG Percent Utilized and Percent Wait settings and procedures. It might only be a question or two but every question counts.

3. Know correct policy domain creation steps.

A. Define Domain

B. Define Policy Set

C. Define Management Class

D. Define Copy Groups

E. Define Default Management Class

G. Validate Policy Set

H. Activate Policy Set

I tend to skip the validation part but they wont on the test.

5. Most importantly know how TSM processes INCLUDES and EXCLUDES. If you don't know them like the back of your hand you will have a hard time certifying.

6. Know DB backup/restore procedures and how TSM handles offsite information.

7. Take the Advanced Admin class if possible. Alot is learned in that class that is on the test like performance tuning and DB restore procedures.

8. DRM makes up 1-2 questions MAX if at all so don't worry as much on that subject. in the two years as a TSM instructor I taught the DRM class twice. It never had huge demand.

9. Remember that this test is geared towards consultants and alot of the test is taken from the sizing and planning standpoint.

10. Have a good undertstanding of the steps to define a library, drives, paths, and devclasses.

;)

Chad

I have taken myTSM 5.1 consultant exam this week and passed first time 698/800. I had found it dificult to get advice on what to study for the exam. I have been working on TSM for over a year now had had taken the 5 day install class in Sept 2002, I did not do the advanced calss. I agree the exam was tough, harder that any Microsoft exam. I did want to thankyou for your hints for certification which I know have helped me.

Regards

Tony Norris

Computer Competence LTD

[email protected]

Tel +44 07771662860

Thanks as well C.

Tripped upon this site and your posting was the make or break for my passing the exam recently.

S.

_________________Mb/sec_______MB/sec_________GB/hr_______%Efficiency

Ethernet__________10___________1.25___________1.8_____________40

Token Ring________16______________2___________5.7____________80

Ethernet_________100___________12.5__________17.6____________40

FDDI_____________100___________12.5__________35.2____________80

ATM______________155___________19.4__________34.1___________50

SPSwitch________________________150___________264___________50

T1_______________.54____________0.2__________0.54____________80

T3________________45____________5.6__________15.8____________80

The redbook has added Giga-Ethernet but it doesn't fit in with the old table well, and I don't know if Tivoli has converted the test questions to gig-ether so worry about these.

Chad Small

TSM Certified Consultant

IBM Global Services

[email protected]

:grin:

1. You have a TSM client that needs to backup to TSM server KNOX and archive data to TSM server BRINKS. How do you setup a TSM Unix client to allow for this request? (Hint: opt & sys)

2. The TSM server has been unable to backup all the clients for the last week. The window is set for 5 hours. The max sessions are set to 40, and max scheduled sessions was set at 35. The average backup takes an hour. There are 80 systems that need to backup. The window can only be increased by 3 hours. Will this solve the problem? Why not? What else needs to be changed to resolve the situation?

3. The TSM Library is running out of scratch tapes, however, there are not many slots for new scratch. It seems daily reclamation is not freeing up enough tapes. When you query the library more thoroughly you find that over 100 tapes are marked as DBBackups. What command allows for querying the library volumes? Why are there so many DB backups in the library? How can you fix this problem?

4. Your TSM server’s log is always filling up and locking up the server. The problem is that the log size is at its max size limit. What can be done to keep the log from filling up? What might you also consider if this is a common occurrence?

5. Can the TSM server self tune transaction sizes? If yes then explain how?

6. Can the TSM server self tune bufferpool space? If yes then explain how?

7. The TSM database is a relational DB, True or False?

8. The TSM database is allotted in increments of 5MB, True or False?

9. What is the seven step procedure for setting up a working Policy Domain?

10. Node HOMER was recently moved from domain SMALLSERV to domain BIGSERV. Since the move he has not run a scheduled backup. Why is that? What must be done?

11. When HOMER was fixed and ran a backup the backup summary stated that over 5000 files were marked for deletion and 450,000 were rebound. What caused this? Is this good or bad? (No wrong answer on the second part)

12. What is the difference between the DSMSERV FORMAT command when run on Unix compared to NT?

13. Cameron has 1 week to setup 6 remote TSM servers. He has network connectivity to all 6. What would be the easiest way for Cameron to setup the six boxes with the best of ease? What are the steps to allow for this method for the server setups? (Hint: Advance Admin: Book)

Extra Credit:

A node is unable to retain its password so that the TSM scheduler can run. What should you check? Also after making sure that the statement is in the dsm.opt, where might you look for a quick answer?

When the administrator issues a Q SESSION the out shows node KRONOS has been in a wait state for 55 minutes. What is cause this long wait time?

Your company wants to do “SYSTEM ARCHIVES” monthly and keep them for 1 year. What would be the best way for you to accomplish this on all 103 systems without overloading TSM?

You are asked to run the Linux client on an OS/390 Mainframe running Linux. The customer wants to do Backups and Archives. Can he do both? How does the Linux client perform Archives?

What size are the blocks within the TSM DB and Log?

a) 16 K

b) 1 MB

c) 600 bytes

d) 4 K

The TSM solution has two domains that need outside administration. The Oracle and SAP group each need to be able to set schedules and administrate users. They would like Bill to handle Oracle, Tim to handle SAP, and Kevin to work with both groups. What administrative privilege should be given to each person?

a) Analyst to Bill and Tim, System to Kevin

b) System to all three

c) Node Administrator to Bill and Tim, Analyst to Kevin

d) Specific Policy scope to all three

e) Policy to Bill and Tim, System to Kevin

You need to register licenses for 50 clients and DRM what command-line command will accomplish this?

Chad, should I remember these numbers? oh, my gosh.

Thanks for your useful information.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>_________________Mb/sec_______MB/sec_________GB/hr_______%Efficiency

The redbook has added Giga-Ethernet but it doesn't fit in with the old table well, and I don't know if Tivoli has converted the test questions to gig-ether so worry about these.

Chad Small

TSM Certified Consultant

IBM Global Services

[email protected]

:grin:</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I had my exam 5.2 last monday.... there were 2 questions where this table was usefull..

Some other questions were about how to install a client on mscs, collocation, 2 questions

about retention periods.... further it is usefull when you know all the output of some commands like q stg, q db... and questions about TCPWindowsize and other tuning parameters.

J.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Chad, should I remember these numbers? oh, my gosh.

Thanks for your useful information.

>>_________________Mb/sec_______MB/sec_________GB/hr_______%Efficiency

Chad Small

TSM Certified Consultant

IBM Global Services

[email protected]

:grin:&lt;&lt;</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Back