Help restore primary disk storage pool from tape copy storage pool

accesslist

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My TSM Server ver 6.2.5. TSM Server have:
Daily:
- 1 primary disk storage pool named disk_daily (using raw disk /dev/rtsmlv1 ...) (store daily backup data then migrate to tape _daily every 3 days)
- 1 primary tape storage pool named tape_daily (is disk_daily next storage pool)
- 1 tape copy storage pool named tape_copy (store backup disk_daily storage pool)
Weekly:
- 1 primary disk storage pool named disk_weekly (store daily backup data then migrate to tape _weekly every 3 weeks)
- 1 primary tape storage pool named tape_weekly (is disk_weekly next storage pool)
- 1 tape copy storage pool named tape_copy_weekly (store backup disk_daily storage pool)

Schedule:
Daily:
- Client Schedule:
+ Backup client store on disk_daily run everyday from Monday - Saturday 21:00
- Administrative schedule:
+ Backup disk_daily storage pool storage on tape_copy everyday from Monday - Saturday at 08:00
+ Backup TSM DB everyday at 12:00
+ Migrate data on disk_daily to tape_daily every 3 day at 14:00

Weekly:
- Client Schedule:
+ Backup client store on disk_weekly every Sunday at 01:00
- Administrative schedule:
+ Backup disk_daily storage pool store on tape_copy_weekly every Sunday at 08:00
+ Migrate data on disk_weekly to tape_weekly every 3 weeks at 14:00

Question:
How to test restore client data from tape_copy_weekly storage pool?

I try to restore disk_daily from tape_copy_weekly storage pool run at Sunday but it require disk volume destroyed.
Then I try run command:
> vary offline /dev/rtsmlv1
> vary offline /dev/rtsmlv1
> update vol /dev/rtsmlv1 access=destroyed.
> restore stg disk_daily copystfpool=tape_copy_weekly

in ACT LOG show that command SUCCESS but no data restore, no process running (q process)

Thanks in Advance.
Accesslist.

I believe TSM has to see that VOL destroy before it tries to restore. Also your daily backups already have its own copy pool, why are you trying to restore from a different copy pool?

Question:
How to test restore client data from tape_copy_weekly storage pool?
You are not really using TSM like it's intended. The concept of using different pools for different types of schedules don't work well. Before I can answer your question, I need to ask you a question first:
- do you use a different node for weekly and daily or do you use the same?

Edit to add: I don't really need the answer. The paragraph below applies regardless. The only difference is that if you use 2 nodes, use which ever node was used to perform the backup you want to restore from.

Bottom line, whoever does the restore should not care in which pool or tape the data exists, only the TSM Server needs to know. So you just go in the TSM Client, and restore the file(s) you want and if not the most recent version select it for the day you want. The TSM Server will find them on wherever they are stored and pass them to the client.

I believe TSM has to see that VOL destroy before it tries to restore. Also your daily backups already have its own copy pool, why are you trying to restore from a different copy pool?
That's true, but it's not the only case. If the copy pools volumes are checked in and online, TSM will restore from the copy in the following situations:
- the primary volume is destroyed (don't mark them destroyed unless they really are)
- the primary volumes are offline in the case of disk volumes
- the primary volumes are unavailable in the case of tape (could be checked out for instance)
- if the data to be restored is stored on less tapes in the copy pool than the primary, it will restore from the copy to reduce the number of mounts
- if one or many files are damaged in the primary, it will also restore from the copy

K, thats actually good to know. My assumption was that the primary pool will ALWAYS be used to perform a restore.

I think I see where post#3 is going, I will also wait for an answer.

As marlant said, you are not using TSM like it's intended. The RESTORE STG command you are using is to restore a stgpool from a copy pool. That command is not going to restore your client data.

Back