Help needed about migrating 7.1 to 8.1.5

fdiperna

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I need some good advice based on your operational experience...

Currently I have a TSM 7.1 Server with a library with 50 slots and two drives, fully loaded and almost full of information.
Due to the above I am buying a new infrastructure with a new library with more capacity.
On the new server, I will install TSM 8.1.5 and well, the query is related to the best way to migrate that information.
In your experience, what would be best?

a) install on the new server, a new TSM 7.1, dump and load the DB, then upgrade to 8.1.5 and then physically upload the tapes to the new library...

or

b) install 8.1.5 directly and then from 7.1 make an export server or directly replicate the 7.1 to 8.1.5 server

Thank you very much for your help.

In this case, I think I lean towards option b). You would otherwise need to connect the old library in to the new server in addition to the new one. I assume that you will have some disk storage; I am also going to assume that you will be using Directory Container pools for superior deduplication and compression. When you replicate the data to the new server, you specify where the data will reside on the new server through the CopyGroup/Mgmt class configuration.

One thing that you were not clear on is the what is the EXACT version of the old server. If it is 7.1.0.0, this will not work - you must be at 7.1.3.x + to replicate to a 8.1.5 Server (or anything 7.1.3 and above for that matter). You may need to through an extra step in there to upgrade the existing to 7.1.3 (or higher) first.

Count me in with the export group.
I did that for a 6.3 to 7.1 migration. Worked pretty well.
If you have large amounts of data for a single client, you may need to restart the export or do it in chunks.

Thank both so much for your time and advises!!
So....We will try those way.

Replication wouldn't work from 7.1 to 8.1 - I know the documentation says it can .. but in reality it can't.

db2 is drastically changed in 8.1 that the tablespaces of 7.1 wouldn't know where to go in 8.1 db2.

I would absolutely go for option a

Yes I am aware of the technote .. Some of my clients were replicating from 7.1.7 to 8.1.5 and it failed. But to be more precise, it was protect stgpool command that is supposed to run prior to replicate node command.

Back