Help me to restore TSM server

nghiatd

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

Hi all,

My TSM server had problem with OS and didn't start. I take its hard-disk to copy all TSM database, log and option file to other hard-disk. I install OS and TSM to restore TSM server. I create new TSM server then stop TSM server service to copy old TSM database, log and option file to the same original directory. Then I start TSM service but it doesn't start.

I checked dsmserv.dsk file and see :

#dsk_comment#page_shadow_token: 1050309172704

C:\TSMDATA\SERVER1\LOG1.DSM

C:\TSMDATA\SERVER1\DB1.DSM

C:\TSMDATA\SERVER1\D6045665.DBV

C:\TSMDATA\SERVER1\LO245665.LOG

D:\TSMDATA\SERVER1\DB1.DSM

C:\TSMDATA\SERVER1\L9487157.LOG

C:\TSMDATA\SERVER1\L7567608.LOG

However I don't see physical file L9487157.LOG in the C:\TSMDATA\SERVER1.

Does anyone have idea to help me to solve it ?

Nghiatd,

PREDATAR Control23

Nghiatd,

I'm not sure that this is really the reccomended way of moving TSM. I have always backed up the TSM database to tape and then restored it. There is information on how to do this in the TSM Admin Guid. Do you not have a TSM db backup? If the OS went down it may be the case that the TSM database you are copying isn't consistent.

In terms of finding why the method you are using isn't working. Try starting the TSM server as an application rather than a service - "c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\server\dsmserv.exe" This should at least give you an error message to start working with. Have you tried copying the old dsmserv.dsk file? The new one should, I think, just be refering to the same db and log volumes after all.

Good luck,

Tom

PREDATAR Control23

Thank for your reply,

The system is managed by the other admin and they didn't backup TSM database as what I said to them.

The recovery log contains information about database updates that have not yet

been committed. I think if i lose log I will lose the changes that have been made

since the last database backup. So TSM server can still restore.

I know that it is impossible to take data on tape back if no restore TSM server.

But I hope that there is a method to get data on tape back if no restore TSM server.

Pls help me to solve it,

Thank a lot,

Nghiatd