HBA microcode upgrade on Windows

mhamedian

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a task to upgrade micocode for the HBAs of a windows machine. Anybody have any idea how long it may take and if there would be any difficulty within this process.

Thanks in advance.
Maj

It probably won't take more than a couple of minutes. You might have to reboot the machine, though.

It would help if you'd inform us of the make, model and current version of the HBAs, though. Help us help you.

Besides, you might have the same HBA somebody else has and has flashed some time already. But you might not, we might not have flashed it, might not have had a watch next to it, or might not care.

Just schedule a couple of hours of downtime and do it. Read the manual, the readme and the release notes of the microcode beforehand. And have backups (but you didn't need me to tell you that, did you? Esp. on this forum .. :rolleyes:)

Hi John,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Here is the HBA info:

Qlogic: QLA2300/2310
serial: F51904
Driver ver.: SCSI Miniport 9.0.1.12 (w32 IP)
BIOS: 1.47
Firmware: 3.03.06

Thanks

Hey! I know those! I have 'em too!

If you have the QLogic SanSurfer, it's a breeze. You can do it runtime, remote, and it's pretty quick. You still need to reboot the machine afterwards, but you can schedule that for after hours. Otherwise, you'd have to see if there is a Windows update package, I don't know that offhand. There is always booting from a floppy ..

BTW, you can use the sansurfer also to update the driver remotely; you're downlevel there and there is some reason to use the STORport driver instead of the SCSIport, but read the docs and find out what it was again because I don't remember why. Current STORport driver version is 9.1.2.19.

There is no newer BIOS than 3.47, firmware is at least at 3.03.19 (that's where I am) but I think there's a newer version than that.

Back