Full text search in migrated objects

bonobos

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

do I have the possibility to perform a full text search in migrated objects on archive storage boxes or LTO tapes, without restoring them?

I heard this could be done by an indexing service in Windows 2000/20003. Does anybody have any experience with that? According to this link it should work ...
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms978221.aspx

Thanks for any information about that ...

It would work if you indexed the stuff before archiving it, and the indexing plays nice with or ignores the archiving. We use Content Manager with CommonStore; CM indexes what CS archives I believe (or something like that).

But you can't retroactively index what you can't access no more ..

Mmh, that would be quite a problem if I need a CM for that... It gets expensive then. I hoped the Windows NTFS feature could index the files, but I still don't know if it's possible ...

Thanks anyway!

An index of the files can be done and be done by any indexing program, but it must be done *before* the files are migrated. After they've been migrated there are no files to index (just pointers to whatever storage you have)

-Aaron

Yes that sounds clear, but does anybody know if the indexing service of NTFS can work like that? Does it work with HSM?

Back