1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Full backup

Discussion in 'Backup / Archive Discussion' started by michelangelo, Jul 13, 2012.

1. michelangelo

michelangelo New Member

Tsm Administrator
    hi
    i want perform a full backup without change the setting in the client. I need perform a full backup because have broken my tape library. I have buy a nas and then i must perform a full backup on the nas.
    If not clear a volhistory the client perform a incremental backup , because it remember the file backupped.
    If change only the destination backuppool the tsm server perform only incremental.

how perform this full backup ?

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    use DSMC BACKUP instead of DSMC INCR

4. drivechip

drivechip Member

Use dsmc and overwrite your dsm.opt settings by command parameter.

5. michelangelo

michelangelo New Member

Tsm Administrator
    thanks to all!!
    but i have create a scheduler service by tsm client and not use a dsmc command. The question is without change the client configuration, can i change copy policy to perform a full backup? when i create a schedulation server side, there are no one option to perform a full backup.
    thanks in advance!

6. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    You have to use the command line here as this is a one time run.

7. GregE

GregE Senior Member

dsmc selective

8. michelangelo

michelangelo New Member

Tsm Administrator
    hi
    i must go into a single node and lunch this command? but i have a lot of node !!! i want change only managment class or schedule to perfom a full backup!! i have understain correctly?

9. rmazzon

rmazzon Senior Member

TSM Managed Services Lead
    You could create a one time client schedule of type selective for each type of client (Windows, Linux etc) where you specify the whole system, associate the nodes to it and let them go.

Or, if the tape library is busted anyway, rename the existing nodes to something like NODENAME-ORIG, register them again under their original names and let TSM perform a new first time, full, backup to the NAS. In this approach if it turns out the original data is lost you can just delete the filespaces of those *-ORIG nodes and remove them.

10. michelangelo

michelangelo New Member

Tsm Administrator
    thanks rmazzon
    the first solution is good, but i must specify only folder i want to backup and not whole system. it's a lot expansive.
    the second are not good because next week i repair the library and then i must merge either backup nas and tape and i found very complicated it.
    the ideal solution is do not change anything client side , but change the backup setting on server side, but i think is very complicated.
    Thanks a lot