1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Full Backup Using "dsmc selective": how to?

Discussion in 'Backup / Archive Discussion' started by c.j.hund, Dec 6, 2007.

1. c.j.hund

c.j.hund New Member

Tivoli Admin
    Greetings,

Just when you think you've got TSM figured out, something comes your way you've never tried before. I need to do a "full" backup from the command line for a large group of UX systems. Of course, I'm trying to get this done using the "dsmc selective" command, but I can't seem to find a way to issue this command to pick up everything.

I THOUGHT issuing the command like this would do the trick:
    dsmc selective "/*" -subdir=yes

And that does pick up a lot of the filesystems, but for some reason it doesn't pick up everything. It may not pick up certain filesystem types. For example, if you do a "dsmc q file", it'll show you every filesystem on your box, but I think issuing the "dsmc selective" command the way I did it above only picks up filesystems of type UFS.

Does anyone know a way to issue the "dsmc sel" command such that it will backup everything local (everything in a df -k that isn't attached from a storage device)? I was hoping to do this with wildcards and not have to cut/paste every local filesystem into the command.

Sincere thanks,
    C.J.

3. nezih

nezih Senior Member

check dsm.opt for
    domain /fs1
    domain /fs2 etc. (all filesystems must be listed)
    and try again

4. JohanW

JohanW Moderator

sysadmin
    Not at home on *UX really, but doesn't that platform have something similar to the Windows -domain=all-local?

5. c.j.hund

c.j.hund New Member

Tivoli Admin
    I'm working out a way to do it by doing a "dsmc q fi > <filename>", and then using that filename as input ... but I was hoping to avoid all that by being able to specify the "all-local" domain. I don't know if we can do that on UX.

6. nezih

nezih Senior Member

sometimes domain=all-local doesn't work for me and I use listed them one by one .)

7. BBB

BBB Moderator

To achieve a full backup, the alternate method is to set your copygroups (see upd copygroup) to mode=absolute rather than mode=modified and just run an incremental.

Don't forget to change them back.

8. c.j.hund

c.j.hund New Member

Tivoli Admin
    That's a great idea! I hadn't thought of that, thank you.

9. nezih

nezih Senior Member

create a script which contains upd copygr mode to absolute val poli, act poli and dsmc i and use it on the presched, and visa versa for postsched to change it back to incremental... hmmm I like it too :)