Force a DBBAckup Volume to Scratch

mangold

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
For testing purpose i made a db backup to a specific volume. Now i want this volume back to status scratch, i don't need it anymore. Is there any possibility to reuse it BEFORE the given "DB Backup Series Expiration Days"? I would prefer not to delete the volhistory, because i don't want the other dbbackups back from the vault. How can i change the drm stat of this specific volume?

Set the reuse delay to 0, run expiration and then increase it back up to the level you want.

-Aaron

i assume this will change the stat of all my dbbackups? Is it possible to fool DRM so i can change only this specific volume? If not then i will wait for the reuse delay.

ATTENTION: my fault, i used your command line BEFORE checking the help, and now i deleted ALL of my DB Backups from volh. There isn't an vol= option in "delete volh", it ignores the volume name given in vol= an deletes all dbb volumes.

doesn't matter, i have a copy ob volh, so i can see which dbb volumes where in VAULT and check them in again as scratch.

my problem has gone :D

yes i wanted to delete only one specific volume, but the command deleted all volumes of the given type (dbb). maybe it works only with REMOTE volumes?

help q drm

REmoteVolumes in this state contain valid data and are located at the offsite remote server.

thats the reason we never have REMOTE volumes. We don't have a remote server. Conclusion: never use "del volh VOL=" to delete a specific Volume with an other type than REMOTE. :(

ATTENTION: my fault, i used your command line BEFORE checking the help, and now i deleted ALL of my DB Backups from volh. There isn't an vol= option in "delete volh", it ignores the volume name given in vol= an deletes all dbb volumes.

doesn't matter, i have a copy ob volh, so i can see which dbb volumes where in VAULT and check them in again as scratch.

my problem has gone :D

GEEEEEEEEZ I just did the same thing. There is no "volume" parameter. It ignored it and deleted all of my DBB vols! Should have read the entire discussion instead of just what I searched for.

This is my first post on ADSM, and I hope this is the right thread to 're-open'.

Our TSM server was rebooted by an admin with some incorrect information as to when one of our daily database backups was to run. The server and TSM instance came back just fine, and subsequent database backups are OK as well.

The issue we are having, is that the specific volume that was in use while the server was rebooted, is still listed as 'DbBackup'. Under normal circumstances, this database tape would have been expired and returned as scratch media.

Does anyone know how to delete a specific volume? We are running TSM 5.5.0.0 on Windows and I've attempted this command with no success:

delete volhist todate=07/18/2010 type=dbb volume=GK5145l4 FORCE=Yes

ANR2467I DELETE VOLHISTORY: 0 sequential volume history entries were
successfully deleted.

Back