FILLING tapes

niro

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi Guys,
I would like to understand how TSM is treated FILLING tapes. I found that some FILLING tapes are not used (no write) for weeks.
I can move that data to other tape. But looking for some documentation how TSM is FILLING tapes. Is there only one "active" FILLING tape? Any idea where I can find such details

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,
tape (sequential volume) can be written by a single session/process only - therefore it is normal to have multiple tapes in "filling" state in the storage pool just because several threads write concurrently to one stgpool. Another possibility is you have your storage pool set to "collocation" - if it is on (or group - without any nodegroups defined), then TSM tries to store data of single node to dedicated volumes (until it runs out of volumes - then it can mix it ....) - setting collocation to "no" means stgpool tries to fill "filling" tapes first.
Can this be your situation?
Harry

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks, in my case it was lack of disk pool space. But generally was trying to figure out some algorithm, order of tapes that are using. Thanks for links. What are predefined empty volumes, what is different between them and scratches?

PREDATAR Control23

Predefined volumes are volumes you define with the define volume command. They never get deleted after reclamation, they are just brought back to empty and ready to be used again.