Files with extension *.data has been backuped by TDP for domino - command to delete?

lokicfb

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,

why ever, files with the ending "[domino-db].nsf.data" have been backuped within the tdp for domino.

These files are not getting removed by the re-org tasks of the TSM server.
In the MC for domino backups - 7 versions - the nsf/ntf files are getting removed - this is working.

To make sure, these "*.data" files are not getting backuped for the future, we added the extension to the exclude list.

How can these files been removed from the client nodes?
Is there a command to delete them?

I found tapes with the content of these file ending, that where very old (write/read date).
A other administrator used already the command "move data tape".
If the other administrator would not have used the command, I would just query cont [tape] and after that, delete these tapes from the storage pool.

For your ideas many thanks.

Best regards

Carlos Behlau

Each Domino "nsf" file, when stored by TSM, attracts TWO backup objects.

The one you can see called "blah.nsf" is just a pointer - it holds no data. The data for that nsf is stored in the "blah.nsf.data" object.

You need BOTH of these to restore an NSF.

If you have excluded the .data objects you haven't backed up any data.

Any include/exclude statement you apply with the domino TDP agent MUST be of the form "blah.nsf*" to catch both the nsf and the nsf.data objects. You either include both (binding them to a class as needed) or exclude both.

hth,

Tony

Hello Tony,

thank you for helping me and avoiding a big mistake.

The policy behind the domino tdp is configured , that the dbs should remain for 7 versions.
As we are having only one tape pool and having tapes from 2008, this data should be gone a long time ago.

What has to be done, to resolve this issue?
Note: A colleague already move tapes ... but we are having still a lot of old tapes, where it seems that the re-org tasks is not working.

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards

Carlos Behlau

Hi,

1) how many versions of inactive domino dbs to you keep (and how long)

2) how many versions of deleted domino dbs (and how long) ?

Maybe one of the values is set to "no limit"?

A new (TSM) version of a domino database is stored under 3 conditions...

1. If the Domino instance is in circular logging mode: every time it is backed up
  2. If in archival logging mode: if a successful selective backup is performed
  3. If in archival logging mode: if the DBIID of the nsf changes (e.g. as a result of Domino level compaction)

It may be that the old databases simply haven't been resent more than 6 times in the last few years.

You figured out that you had ".DATA" objects - did you perform a select statement against the backups table to get this information? If so, can you please post a small sample of the oldest stored objects (i.e. the offending ones)...try to get both the ".nsf" and ".nsf.DATA" objects for a database in your post.

Back