File over user or system size limit-desperate

shansell

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
I recreated a filesystem, same path, same user and now I am getting this message when I try to restore to the new filesystem. Except for the desperate part. Why? THis is on an AIX machine, the limits file is set to unlimited for both the root and file owner of these files. They were created once, so it doesn't seem possible that the OS is limiting the user.

If you know anything let me know. I called tivoli and am in the 2 hour wait cycle that is always so pleasant. They are waiting for me to have to go to the bathroom to call.

Can you post a "screen" shot of the exact error that it reports -

Are you trying to restore this via OS dsmc or 5.3 BAClient GUI?

And what version of AIX / TSM are you using?

Will try to help if I can -

We use TSM 5.3 on AIX 5.3...And I have recently done some restore testing...

My guess is that you created the filesystem with different prameters and now you can't resoter the file to it.

do an:

lsfs -q /file/system/name

to look at the filesystem parameters.

Depending on the version of AIX (what version is it anyway?) you may need to recreate the filesystem with Big File support.

What type of filesystem is it?

If it is JFS, Maybe you need to increase the log size a little?

Is the logical volume that the filesystem is on opened?

do an:

lslv lvname (example: lslv hd2)

and look at the LV STATE:

Is the filesystem mounted?

df -k

You can try these for starters.

The error is litterally

"File is over user or system size limit"

I copied a 2.5 gig file over to this fs to see if it would work, no problem. It's a 5.2 AIX server with jfs2 filesystems, so no large file restrictions exist.

The limits file is exactly right, Do you know of another place that a file restriction can be placed, maybe through tsm?

Along that line - here is a crude guess -

Your original backup spanned 2 logical volumes (er, 2 disks I guess I should say also) more than likely - so when you recover it, the size is going to have to be = or greater than what the span amounted to. In most cases I believe AIX has the option of letting the system take over and manage this - so if one logical volume on a disk gets full, it may create/expand it onto another. Does that make any sense?

So if this happened you would have to have stats on what the old values were... ITDrew - is that right? You seem to know quite a bit about SA stuff :grin:

THanks for looking into this. It's 5.2 aix and the error is indeed

"File over user of system limit."

I stopped all the process, rebooted the TSM server, rebooted the client, and started from the gui once again, same. Killed that went to the command line, runs like a top. I never had a problem from the gui before. Go figure. Somewhere AIX is telling that process to restrict FS but I can't tell where.

THanks, I'll just go with the workaround for nowl.

What does ulimit -a show?

[root @ blabla] >>ulimit -a

time(seconds) unlimited

file(blocks) unlimited

data(kbytes) 131072

stack(kbytes) 32768

memory(kbytes) 32768

coredump(blocks) 2097151

nofiles(descriptors) 2000

What is your file set to? You may need to change it.

look at the ulimit man page to see how. It's pretty easy.

time(seconds) unlimited

file(blocks) unlimited

data(kbytes) 131072

stack(kbytes) 32768

memory(kbytes) 32768

coredump(blocks) 2097151

nofiles(descriptors) 2000

That looks like I can put unlimited size files?

Back