file name too long for backup?

cheffern

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hi all - here is an error I am hoping you can help me get around...
customer says they need this file backed up -
TSM says it can't.

ANS4018E Error processing '/wasdata/jsf_compare/BCR/js/org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_org_custom_adopter_field_control.': file name too long
ANS4018E Error processing

any thoughts on how I can accomplish this?
the node is AIX 6.1 with TSM client 5.5 on it.

tia -
-Chef.

what is the version of TSM server?

File name length depends from TSM server version
- 5.4 >> 260 Bytes (file and path)
- 5.5 >> now supports up to 8704 bytes in length for fully qualified file names

So it would be out of line to suggest not using incomprehensibly long file names? Or ask them to rename the file to something that doesn't require a calculator to compare to other files.

LOL rwh :) customer did something massively funky to their setup, yeah, I agree! but no, they won't undo it - not a chance.

Domino - how can I pull this - can you give me a little more detail on how to get the object info?
thanks!

You say: TSM server is AIX 6.4.1.2...

I think IBM has not come to that version yet!

6.2.x.x is the newest as far as I know.

well if they wont change the name change it for TSM. In other words exclude the file and create a prescheduled command to zip/tar the file under a new name (without all the orgs) and then backup that file. Stupid customers drive me nuts.

... how can I pull this - can you give me a little more detail on how to get the object info? ...

If you see an errormessage like " ... Error handling file [TSMOBJ:1.1.656798] " you can use
display OBJNAME 1.1.656798

heh - hooray for typo catchers! it's 6.1.4.2 :)

no OBJ name error like that popping out at me, but I will look some more - thanks for that input.

Chad - yea...maybe it's a file that never changes and I can do that as a 1 time fix. would be nice... we'll see!

thanks for the thoughts :D
cheers!
-Chef.

Are you suffering in unlocking, managing and renaming long named files?

After days of searching I finally found solution for unlocking, managing and renaming long named files. Get your problem solved from http://longpathtool.com/

hey Ed - did you ever figure this out? what I ended up doing was going back to the root part and just excluding the first loop from there...the bad part is that then it still takes forever as it tells you "file was excluded by incl/excl list" // ugh
-Chef.

We recently had this same problem and it turned out to be an error in the script creating the file name. The script owner corrected it and life is good again. Have them verify they don't have a loop in their naming script or suggest to them that that file doesn't need that many _org's!

I think you may concern with http://PathTooDeep.com because i have face such problem for many times and long path tool help me in this situation.
you should use and fix all the problems.Thanks

Back