FiberChannel to Ethernet Converters

BDMcGrew

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Greetings, again!

Has anyone ever had any kind of good luck with FiberChannel to Ethernet converters; maybe something similar to this Perle box (https://www.perle.com/products/gigabit-managed-media-converters.shtml)? I know Perle is a decent company, we use their USB to Serial boxes all the time.

Reason I'm asking is I need to add a tape library into my setup and I've found a refurbished Dell LTO4 auto loader with 2 drives but it's FC. I'm not setup for FC, don't really want the expense of implementing it and all my single-slot servers are full of quad port network cards so I also have no place for an FC card.

And if they work, will TSM play nicely with it? I'm running TSM 6.3 on CentOS 6 inside and ESXi 6 HA cluster. All of my stg is disk based and everything runs super smooth. My decv filedev1 points to a couple places out in my storage array and it's just all working.

If I add a FC library on an Ethernet media converter, will it work with TSM?

The idea is of course, move the data out of the building... So, anyone, ever done something like this?

The only comment I have (since I have not worked with a system like this) is - "does all of the FC command get translated?" How will TSM see the incoming "converted FC" traffic, and how will TSM interface with a network card and look at it as a FC card?

Given how TSM will see the system - it has to see the network card as a FC card - I believe, this setup is not possible.

Yes, you can use a remote library that is FC-attached to a TSM server via server-to-server communications. The remote TSM server is the Library Manager while the one accessing is the Client.

Done that before.

Back