FB client off for 5 months, turned on but looks like no data backed up

totalstu

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

On an Exchange server we had the FB client turned off for the past 5 months (long story but not important why). Finally turned it on yesterday and in the log I see the following:
FBSS1527I Command [Volume Shadow copy Service] for Policy [6], Server [xxxx-EXCH1], Volume [Signature 0xfd1dd7ad on xxxx-EXCH1 VolLetter C:\] completed successfully
FBSS1527I Command [Volume Shadow copy Service] for Policy [6], Server [xxxx-EXCH1], Volume [Signature 0xdf50355c on xxxx-EXCH1 VolLetter Boot] complet
FBSS1527I Command [Volume Shadow copy Service] for Policy [6], Server [xxxx-EXCH1], Volume [Signature 0xc7a8f6f8 on xxxx-EXCH1 VolLetter E:\] completed successfully

The above is the regular backup, running every 6 hours.

The DR portion runs nightly at 10PM. The DR for the Exch server shows completed successfully for the three volumes but the data size is 0MB.

Under Fastback Status i see the following:
Volumes that were not backed up recently:
Policy: 'Daily Backup' Volume: E:\ on xxxx-EXCH1 (last recorded snapshot: 5/3/2012 6:26:46 AM)
Policy: 'Daily Backup' Volume: Boot on xxxx-EXCH1 (last recorded snapshot: 5/3/2012 6:26:45 AM)
Policy: 'Daily Backup' Volume: C:\ on xxxx-EXCH1 (last recorded snapshot: 5/3/2012 6:26:45 AM)

Now on to the questions I have:

Is the regular 6 hour backup actually working properly?
Why is the DR showing data size of 0MB?

My thought is that after 5 months of not being on we need to do a full backup so that the incremental forever will work properly. If so, how do I do that? Remove the client group and the create a new one?

Any advice, guidance, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Don't know if this is still an issue for you but:
How does the "Snapshot monitor" tab look for your EXCH1? You should be able to see status, how much data is backed up and also Event for the snapshot. That should be able to provide you with some more info.

Snapshot monitor shows every Exch job since I turned on the FB client as aborted, with the type being full. hmm........... Time for some more research.

Thanks

Ok, may have figured this out. The XR_VSS service was not started on the Exchange server. It is now started so we'll see what happens at the next scheduled run.

In case anyone was wondering, all is well. The snapshot that is scheduled to run every 6 hours is completing successfully and I even got DR to work on the Exch DB as well.

Back