Fastback server - supported platform

epeterson

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
According to the IBM info it looks like the Fastback server (not client) is supported ONLY on 32-bit Windows and 32-bit CPUs. Can anyone confirm this? The client is supported on 64-bit OS and HW. I can't believe that the server has to be installed on "old" server hardware. Can you even buy a 32-bit server anymore? Odd.....

Note that it's the OS that needs to be 32-bit for FastBack Server and DR Hub Components, not the CPU. With one client I'm running FastBack Servers and DR Hubs on HP Proliant DL380 G6 systems which are fully 64-bit OS compatible, but running them with 32-bit Windows 2008 on the same platform is just fine.

IBM had previously suggested 64-bit OS support for the Server component would come in with version 6.1.1.0 but it has failed to materialise. However, from some IBM support material I've seen there are some further suggestions of 64-bit compatibility and I anticipate that it won't be far off.

HTH,

If you are running 32-bit Windows on a 64-bit server then that's good. But here is what the install guide says:

Prerequisites for FastBack Server (Windows only)
__ 1. Use one of the following operating systems for FastBack Server:
v Microsoft Windows 2003 Standard, Enterprise, Storage, and Storage R2 Server, Service Pack 1 or later
v Microsoft Windows 2008 Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, Web, Storage, Small Business, and Essential Business Server
v Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition, Service Pack 2 or later
The operating systems are only supported on the Windows x86 (32 bit) architectures and 32-bitprocessors. In addition, the boot and Windows operating system partitions must be formatted in NTFS.

This is why I am concerned.

Agreed that's a bit unclear in the docs - I'd run it past IBM if you want some further validation.

Anyone else been here?

Here is some kind of reassurance if you didn't already get some from IBM - in the IBM docs (e.g., this technote >> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21423910) it states a supported processor example for the FastBack Server ("3 Ghz Dual Pentium D compatible or higher") - this is a 64-bit processor (cf http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27513), reasserting to me that what I believe they actually mean in the Information Centre docs is that FastBack Server is supported on a 32-bit OS only at present, not on a 32-bit processor only.

Thanks very much for this information. I thought it ridiculous that the CLIENT was supported on pretty much anything (OS/CPU) yet the SERVER was only 32-bit - made no sense. I suppose worst case scenario I drop it on a 64-bit server and see what happens. I am just in try-and-buy mode anyway.

Back