Fastback DR on VMWare

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm looking to use VMWare for my Fastback DR machine, using the FTP method of pushing data to the Fastback DR server. VMWare maximum drive size is 2TB. Is the DR repository limited to one drive on the FB DR machine?

You can use more than one drives as FastBack Repository.
J.

In the FastbackDRHubServer.ini, is that what ListenPath and FTPRootPath are accomplishing? Or are these only for servicing multiple Fastback servers, but a Fastback Server can only send its data to ONE path?

My example.....
One Fastback Server backing up 3TB
One Fastback DR Hub Server on VMWare

VMWare maximum drive size = 2TB. Does using ListenPath1, ListenPath2 and FTPRootPath1, FTPRootPath2 allow me to use two drives in order to backup my 3TB to a single DR Hub?

Last edited:
I am thinking more that those FastbackDRHubServer.ini options are what make is make it possible to span multiple drives and not be limited by the VMWare limit, but I'm not quite sold. I posed that question to my reseller a few days ago and am waiting for response.

ccshop, you say I can use more than one drive. Are those options what make that possible?

Hi, The simplest way is to use Windows Disk Management and "merge" disks to big volume. Another way is upgrade to vSphere 5.
And setting up DR Hub, from infocenter:
Open the FastBackDRHubServer.ini file for editing. The FastBackDRHubServer.ini file is located in the following path: %ProgramFiles%\Tivoli\TSM\FastBack\drhub.Make the following changes to the FastBackDRHubServer.ini file:
- Change the value of the FTPRootPath1 key to include the full path of the FTP server root directory that was created in step 1
- (Optional) If needed, add additional directories.For example, FTPRootPath2 and FTPRootPath3.
- Change the value for the ListenPath1 key to contain the full path of the FTP server root directory that was create in step 1
- (Optional) If needed, add additional directories.For example, ListenPath2, ListenPath3.
- Save and close the FastBackDRHubServer.ini file.

; FastBackDRHubServer.ini
[General]
;ListenPath1 = c:\ListenPath1
;ListenPath2 = ...
;ListenPath3 = ...
;...
;ListenPathX =
; This has to run sequentially from 1 to whatever number you need
; The following line determines how many Worker threads will be created
; to handle expanding files. This should approximately be the number of CPU cores
; on the machine. When this line is omitted the default is 2.
Expanding Threads = 5

J.

I am thinking more that those FastbackDRHubServer.ini options are what make is make it possible to span multiple drives and not be limited by the VMWare limit, but I'm not quite sold. I posed that question to my reseller a few days ago and am waiting for response.

ccshop, you say I can use more than one drive. Are those options what make that possible?

Thanks ccshop. That's what my vendor has mentioned too. But I can't get an answer to my question about what ListenPath and FTPRootPath options can do for me in this situation..................if I can have two 2TB drives such as....

Example.
A Fastback Server at the remote office site, holding 3 TB in it's repository. I need to push that data to a Fastback DR Server, in the main data center, running on VMWare.

On the FB DR server, can I do this?
2TB - G:\Folder_1
2TB - H:\Folder_2

FTPRootPath=G:\Folder_1
FTPRootPath=H:\Folder_2

ListenPath1=G:\Folder_1
ListenPath2=H:\Folder_2

Can a single FB server at the remote office, holding 3 TB, send all of its data to single DR Server configured like that?

Last edited:
Back