Fastback Client - D: Drive only?

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

Awhile back I did a Fastback test server and client and the Fastback Manager showed drives C and D for the client.

Now I have an entirely new setup and have chosen a test client, and Fastback Manager only shows the D drive.

Why would a client not report it's C: drive back to FB Server?

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

Sorry to bump this but seems "simple" enough to someone who knows more about FB than me. I don't know of anything to update in order to make it see the client's C drive. I've tested a couple of clients in the past and this has not been an issue until now. Any ideas? Or a config file on the client that I could update to force the client to report it's C drive to the FB server?

(The FB Server is on a SAN, and the FB client on a server connected to the same SAN)

PREDATAR Control23

There is no configuration file that control this.
Did you set the system to run SAN backups? Is C:\ volume a clone of another machine that is also connected to FastBack?
If you have the SAN mode enabled on the machine, try to disable it and see if the C:\ volume appears.

PREDATAR Control23

The C:\ volume was created using MS Sysprep. The Windows Admins have not contacted Microsoft to dig into this, but IBM pointed out that the C drive was not reporting it's disk structure correctly (sectors and overall length) and requested that the admins contact MS.

Sounds you are saying is that sysprep could indeed be the issue. The question is why? Hopefully the admins will find out from MS soon.

PREDATAR Control23

FastBack needs to know each partition size so it will know which blocks to monitor. There are cases where the partition size in the partition table information reports different number of blocks then there are on the partition (the difference can be only few blocks). In this case FastBack doesn't know which blocks to monitor so it can't backup that partition.
You should be able to see the error with all the details in the FastBack client logs just after the FastBack client service is starting.

PREDATAR Control23

Got it. This is what I sent to IBM, which shows the calculation...

C: - 0000002048 + 143304704 = 143306752 <- greater than Size reported below.
Code:
Disk HP      LOGICAL VOLUME  5.70 signature 0x6b5e81cd, Size (sectors) 143305920, LUN [0]
MS signature 0x6b5e81cd 
|-----|------------|----------|----------|
|Disk |Start sector|Length    |Signature |
|     |            |          |          |
| 000 | 0000002048 | 143304704 | b96593ba |

D: - 0000002048 + 143300608 = 143302656 <- less than Size reported below.
Code:
Disk HP      LOGICAL VOLUME  5.70 signature 0xc8f5c117, Size (sectors) 143305920, LUN [0]
MS signature 0xc8f5c117 
|Disk |Start sector|Length    |Signature |
|     |            |          |          |
| 001 | 0000002048 | 143300608 | 0b7fd219 |