Fastback - a dying product?

lampenschirm

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello together,

this is my first post to this forum so I'm not really sure if this is the right place for my question.
I work in a company in germany as backup responsible. We are using several TSM Servers for our bigger main location and several
Fastback 6.1.7.0 servers for backing up our smaler locations all over europe.
In december last year i was at the IBM TSM admin 1 training course and the trainer said that Fastback is a 'dying' product which
will not be longer developed and evolved by IBM for a long term.
So now i am a bit confused about that and i'm wondering what other TSM / Fastback Admins are knowing and thinking about this?

I hope my english was not that horrible :)
Thank you all!

Best regards,
lampenschirm

PREDATAR Control23

Hi Jackyzhang,

thanks for your reply.

I have opend a lot of Fastback related PMRs in the last year. Everytime i had an open PMR i spoke with the same person from IBM tech support.
IMHO that means that there are not many people working in fastback techsupport and there are not many customers which are using Fastback.

I think Fastback is good if you have a really small IT infrastructure. But it is missing important features like systemstate backup and bandwith management for replication.
All in all i have to say that Fastback is not the right product if you have an big and / or complex IT Infrastructure.

By the way: does anyone have a Fastback Roadmap or something like that ?

best regards,
lampenschirm

PREDATAR Control23

It is still in the product catalogue. I would guess for some years more. What's your experiences when using it?

PREDATAR Control23

I think Fastback is not worth its costs. Im missing important features like restoring NTFS security informations and many other things.
Also we tried to use Fastback to back up our smaller offices and replicate them to the central data center.
It does not work good, you dont have any possibility to make bandwith management or to define i time window in which the replication has to start and to stop. All in all Fastback is product which is (in best case) good for small companys without an IT department.
If you have more questions about Fastback please feel free to ask me :)

PREDATAR Control23

As far as i know, IBM starting to implement Fastback features into TSM server/ba client