Extract RPMs from Linux TDP Client

jbaird

Newcomer
Reaction score
I know that IBM only offers TDP in the .bin file for some reason. However, if you "unzip" this file, you can find the two TDP RPMs:

TDP-Oracle.paid.x86_64.rpm
TDP-Oracle.Utility-6.3.0-0.x86_64.rpm

It doesn't look like the .bin installer does anything special. All of the installation tasks are handled by the RPMs. So, does anyone know why I can't just extract these RPMs and install them instead of using the .bin java installer?

Thanks.

I know that IBM only offers TDP in the .bin file for some reason. However, if you "unzip" this file, you can find the two TDP RPMs:

It doesn't look like the .bin installer does anything special. All of the installation tasks are handled by the RPMs. So, does anyone know why I can't just extract these RPMs and install them instead of using the .bin java installer?

Thanks.

The bin file does more than 'explode' the RPM files - it sets up environment variables and tests for dependencies.

Last edited:
Checks for dependencies where? It looks like it checks for Java, but is that for the installer only? It doesn't actually install Java. I also don't see that it permanently sets environment variables for the actual TDPO client. Most (if not all) of the code is for the InstallAnywhere front-end. Would you mind pointing out anything specific to TDPO?

Try installing the RPMS and report back your findings

Although from experience, I believe it checks for the API and libraries like moon-buddy has stated

Trying that now. My scripts ensure that API/BA is already installed before TDPO is installed. I'll let you know soon.

I think I've done it via the RPM route..its been a while so I dont recall. Same with installing the new TSM server code on AIX at least...you can install it using installp instead of executing the binary if your install runs into weird issues.

Thanks.

So, as a followup: It appears I have a fully functional TDP client using the extracted RPMs from the .bin file. This helps with the automation of rolling the TDP client out, as our automation mechanism (Puppet) only plays nicely with native packages (RPM).

Back