• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

extentupdates never reducing

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
We use cloud container pools and recently noticed our DB and DB backups getting larger while data stg space and # of files staying about the same. We soon discovered our # of extentupdates growing, and never shrinking as they should be. Ideally, they should get processed frequently and reduce down to 0. Ours are over 200 million and growing daily. These records start to process if we restart TSM, but it really hits the system hard and eventually just stops processing extents for some reason. I know CHUNKDELETIONDELAY can be changed to slow down building the list of eligible extents, but I don't think this will help to control the actual deletion process itself. Any thoughts on this? Is there a way to control the # of threads used to process these extent deletions?

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www-947.ibm.com
Nevermind, that APAR is for directory container pool, you have a cloud. However, you could still benefit at 8.1.9.000 to ensure you have all the fixes to known issues.

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
That's a good suggestion, Marclant. We are currently on v8.1.6.200 which is supposed to have a fix for this (IT28470 - https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IT28470). But I agree, it would probably be a good idea to upgrade.

I was also wondering if lowering DEDUPEDELETIONTHREADS might help. We have 8 currently (I believe this is default). The idea would be to allow extent deletions to proceed, but more slowly to avoid performance impact. I'm having a tough time finding good doc on this option. Any idea if this would be beneficial?

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www-947.ibm.com
I was also wondering if lowering DEDUPEDELETIONTHREADS might help.
Lowering the number of threads would be counter productive if you have a large number of extents to delete. Reducing that the number of threads will take even longer to delete to the point that it may not keep up with the daily workload.

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Well, normally it never runs at all unless I restart TSM. Then it starts to delete, but it grabs all the system resources and backups grind to a halt. The deletion eventually stops after 12 hours or so for some reason, and everything starts running normally again. Running the deletes just kills the server, so we really don't want it to run for long durations. But since we're so far behind, it runs a long time and it has to stop on its own. I was just thinking we could throttle it down a little so it wouldn't slow down normal operations.

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www-947.ibm.com
That doesn't sound right. APAR IT28470 may still be at play, even if it doesn't mention cloud containers, the symptoms are quite similar.

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 61 61.6%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 8 8.1%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NasriSaleh