Export tapes

vremenar

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
vladimir.remenar.net
Hi all.

I have to reuse old tapes used for exports which have to be used for new exports (monthly tape rotation). This means I have to selectively delete export tapes from TSM as I have to keep yearly export tapes (that has to stay in TSM). Is that possible and how to perform that?

Thank you.

You can do the following:
Code:
query volhist type=export
If the output is empty or the tapes you want to use are not in this list, then you can check them in as scratch as TSM is not aware of them.

If they are still in TSM's invenvoty, they you can use the delete volhist command to get rid of them. For syntax: HELP DELETE VOLHIST

Tnx marclant.

I do know about delete volhistory but that command deletes all of the tapes up to a date defined. I need a way to skip some of the sets. For example I have:
1. set - ABX187L6 and ABU987L6 from January 2016
2. set - ABL917L6 and ABD877L6 from February 2016
3. set - ABX981L6 and ABC197L6 from March 2016

If I run a "delete volhistory todate=01.05.2015 type=export" it will remove all of these sets (1, 2 and 3) but I have to keep set number 1 in TSM DB as that is a yearly tape set.

You could put a new barcode labels on those tapes, then label them in TSM as new tapes.

Also, even if an export tape is not in the volhist, you can still import it back to TSM, so you could in theory delete them all. The danger though is that if it's not in the volhist, it's not protected from being overwritten, so it would need to be stored outside the library, turn the write-protect on and properly identify them to avoid accidentally overwriting it.

Hi Vremenar,

It's not documented anywhere but i have tried and tested it works. Steps are as below:

select * from volhistory where volume_name='XXXXXX'

DATE_TIME: 2016-09-12 12:36:18.000000
UNIQUE: 0
TYPE: REMOTE
BACKUP_SERIES:
BACKUP_OPERATION:
VOLUME_SEQ:
DEVCLASS: 3592LIB
VOLUME_NAME: XXXXXX

del volh ty=remote todate=09/12/2016 vol=XXXXXX force=yes

upd libvol library_name volume_name status=scratch

Back