Export or rename DB2 filespace

Lisatech

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone has experienced any issues with exporting or renaming DB2 files spaces. We have a DB2 migration planned and I envision the following:

Nodes: DB2-A = Current server DB2-B = New server
Export DB2 filespaces from DB2-A node
Renaming the DB2-A node to DB2-C node
Renaming the DB2-B node to DB2-A
Import the DB2 filespaces into the new DB2-A node

My thoughts are that the steps above should work to preserve the history of the backups to be accessible from the new DB2 server. Does this make sense?

Also is it possible to rename a DB2 filespace? I have done the rename with a conventional unc filespace but have been unable to find anything about works/or not works for DB2.

Thanks in advance...

Hi

I export/import db2 filespaces quite frequently and don't have any problems with it.

One thought, you could just leave your node definitions as they are, and if you then need to access the old backups just edit your dsm.sys nodename and your db2 config to access the old backups..

Having said that, the plan you have outlined should work fine.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply.... :)

I will need to change node names as the server name for the new DB2 will be changed to match the current DB2 server name during the migration so that existing applications will still connect to the same server name in DNS.

The command is no different than the usual command, correct? Have you found it easier to use fsid or filespace name?

Back