Export node - Need lights!

THE_WIPET

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi All

I created a new server for our DEV env. This will offload the prod backup server and will segragate the backups in two. The DEV nodes are a mix of Windows and Solaris Clients with TDP for SQL/SAP/Oracle

I have around 200 servers on two different TSM instances to export and i'm looking for lights on how to do it. Time is not a issue and this is the best time to do a clean up /upgrade on the nodes and BA client. And it will be first time i'm using the export command.

I know that we need the same policies names from the old server to the new server.

1- Is there a way to only export the configuration of an specific Domain(policies,mgmtclass/sched/stg pools) from one server to the other or i have to recreate them manually it's really unclear in the ibm documentation or in my head.

2- the export will be done in a server/server way any pitfall to avoid? (Server/server communication is already define and working.)

3- after the node is exported and imported, I will give them new management class .. etc. I will need to change the dsm.opt and start an incremental backup do i need to add something to make sure it take the new mgmt class.

thanks for any info.

Read up on the export command via the Admin Guide, but you can :export server: to send definitions to the gaining server. Verify all items have transferred correctly. Or configure your primary server a config mgr and push the data to the second server.
Exporting node, depending on your versioning, long exports may timeout on you due to media conditions or duration a times, or priorities. Your larger nodes, will probably require part time baby sitting. You could upgrade clients before or after, your choice.
And lastly, you can be filespace selective if you like as well if you need to send individually or have issues during an export. Also before I forget - feel free to use the "from date" option as well if you encounter problems - this cuts down your data stream as well where applicable.

I'm pretty new to TSM and don't mind being corrected but I think you want to

lock node <node>

before starting the export. That keeps the node from trying to do a backup while you're trying to do the export. Then when all looks well:

unlock node <node>

and try some sample restore/backup activity as you planned.

One thing to watch for that I encountered when exoprting all 900 TSM nodes from mainframe to AIX TSM. If using a tape library, make sure that the destination server has management classes default backup location is that tape storage pool. Otherwise, your exported data will be written from tape(source) to disk(destination). This would most likely cause backup issues that night if data is not migrated fast enough.

I agree with the use of a configuration server. It has worked great for us since we have over 25 TSM servers to manage. Create almost everything on the config server and push it out to everyone else.

Your nodes will inherit the new management class as long as it's the default, or you specify the management class in the dsm.opt files.

I'm not sure what version of TSM you are currently at, but a new feature in TSM 5.5 was restartable exports. If your export/import fails, you must include the "merge=yes" in your export command when you restart it, even at server code below 5.5. Otherwise a new filespace will be created.

thanks for all you inputs.. I do think using the configuration server since we are now a 5 TSM servers. Another quick question... when doing an export/import doe it move the data or it's a copy? if it's a copy.. i need to delete the node/filespace from the old server

Doh!!!!! i just found the answer from my question... I know RTFM... but sometime you need RRTFM...

Chapiter 22 right at the start!!!

Tivoli Storage Manager provides an export and import facility that allows you to copy all or part of a server (export) so that data can be transferred to another server (import).

cheers!

Back