Export / import node

dojabergen

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,
We have an archive application (ICC4SAP). We want to export one of the nodes. This node has archived files in totally 7 mgmtclasses (total 3 TB). However, we only want to export archives/files from ONE management class.
As I understand, it is not possible to export by specifying file_space, from_date or to_date because the other mgmtclasses also have data archived with the same options.
We will then import the data to a testserver which only has limited disk space.
Howto export only the data for ONE mgmtclass?

In adcance, thank you for your response.

PREDATAR Control23

The management class is not used to identify data. It only servers 2 purpose: retention and what pool it lands into during backup/archive.

As I understand, it is not possible to export by specifying file_space, from_date or to_date because the other mgmtclasses also have data archived with the same options.
That has nothing do with the management class. It's just that the filespace contains additional data that you don't want to export. The same would happen if you were using 1 or many management classes. What you are really trying to do is export specific directories/files from a filespace, but the export can only do the entire filespace.

Example 1:
include.archive /fs1/dir1 MC1
include.archive /fs1/dir2 MC2

In the above, if you export /fs1, you get both dir1 and dir2 because they both belong to /fs1

Example 2:
include.archive /fs1/dir1 MC1
include.archive /fs1/dir2 MC1

In the above, if you export /fs1, you get both dir1 and dir2 because they both belong to /fs1, not because they are both bound go MC1.

As you can see, it's not because of the management class that you cannot do what you want, it's because you want to drill down into a filespace, but that's not possible.

If the data is still current on the client, archive that data using a new nodename. If the data you want to export is older, then retrieve the data in a temporary directory and archive it using a new node. Then export the new node.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi Marlant,
Thank you for responding on my thread!
The instruction you present, I think, is an answer on the 'ordinary' client archive/retrieve situation. In our situation, we work with the archive application ICC4SAP connecting to the TSM server through the API.

However, what I think will work, is to run the flw. select statement to extract information for each file
with a spesific node_name and class_name.
Additionally I can reduce the output by specifying th archive_date with from-to.

select * from archives where node_name='<NODE_NAME>' and class_name='<MGMTCLASS>'

This will give the flw information on each file in a mgmtclass in question:

NODE-NAME
FILESPACE_NAME
FILESPACE_ID
TYPE
HL_NAME
LL_NAME
OBJECT_ID
ARCHIVE_DATE
OWNER
DESCRIPTION
CLASS_NAME

This I will present to the application owner and maybe they can, through the application, select files based on some of the mentioned options.
What do you think about that?
Thanks in advance!