expire inventory on a backup storage pool managed by a non-default management class

tivolimistery

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Dear Users,

Im trying to launch expire inventory on the backup storage pool B managed by a non-default management class (CUSTOM MGMT CLASS)

This is my scenario:

STANDARD MGMT CLASS (DEFAULT) -> Backup Policy A (2 versions, 1 version data deleted, 30 days extra version, 60 days only version) -> backup storage pool A
CUSTOM MGMT CLASS -> Backup Policy B (1 version data exists, 0 version data deleted, 0 days extra version, 0 days only version) -> backup storage pool B

Problem:

When a I execute "expire inventory" I noticed that backup storage pool B is not checked for expiration.
I would like to apply the backup retention time policy defined in CUSTOM MGMT CLASS to backup storage pool B without touch the backup storage pool A (that is without "fast expire" the backup storage pool A data).

How can I proceed?
Do you think that I can do the following?

1) set CUSTOM MGMT CLASS as default (temporary) mgmt class
2) launch "expire inventory"
3) set STANDARD MGMT CLASS as default mgmt class
4) wait for reclamation

Is this the right solution to reach the target and run expiration process on storage pool B only?

Thank you in advance,
Mauro

PREDATAR Control23

When you run expire inventory, all storage pools are scanned and expiration applied as needed.

Thus expiration is running across the board regardless of management class

If there is nothing to expire, nothing will be run against it.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi moon-buddy,

thank you for the answer, but there is something that is strange.
Executing "q mgmt", I can see all the defined mgmt classes (the default and the non-default ones)

Policy Policy Mgmt Default
Domain Set Name Class Mgmt
Name Name Class ?
--------- --------- --------- ---------

CLUSTER_ATHENA ACTIVE ARCHIVEFS_BCK No
CLUSTER_ATHENA ACTIVE STANDARD Yes

CLUSTER_ATHENA STANDARD ARCHIVEFS_BCK No
CLUSTER_ATHENA STANDARD STANDARD Yes

But when I launch expire inventory, in "q actlog" I see only something related to the ACTIVE and STANDARD;
ARCHIVEFS_BCK mgmt class
something seems to be ignored. So, nothing is expired on related backup storage pool (in our scenario, I'm referring to pool B).

10.10.2017 14:33:00 ANR4391I Expiration processing node NGPFS_ATHENA,
filespace /archive, fsId 2, domain CLUSTER_ATHENA, and
management class STANDARD - for BACKUP type files.
(SESSION: 57885, PROCESS: 227)

@marclant do you have some idea to solve this kind of issue?

Thanks to all,

Mauro

PREDATAR Control23

The only relation with the management class and the storage pool is which pool the data lands into at the time of the backup. The data can be migrated after to a different pool and will keep it's original retention because it's still in the same management class.

@marclant do you have some idea to solve this kind of issue?
What issue? I'm not sure there's an issue here.