Experience with HSM and Solaris 10 Zones

chzink

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.postbank.de
Does someone have experience with HSM in Solaris 10 zones?

I have several questions:

- Where should the client be installed (local or global Zone)
- If a recall in the local zone is started and the HSM client is configured in the global
zone, does it work?
- Are other specific points?

Thank you

Christoph Zink

Next question

Now i understand the circumstances of HSM in Solaris Zones.

But i want to understand, if a file which is migrated in the global zone, could be recalled in the local zone. That means,is there an IPC between the local and global zone for recalling a file in the local zone?

Thank you.

This depends on how you have configured your local zone. If the file is on a managed file system that belongs to the local zone it can be transparent recalled from the global zone or from the local zone. However a selective recall is possible from the global zone only.

Hope this can answer your question.

Bye

HSM is supported on Solaris non-global zone

It is merely required to create the VxFS file system from the global zone, assign it to the non-global zone and add Space Management (dsmmigfs add) from the administrator of the global zone.

At this point the HSM client daemons running in the global zone (and not the VxFS) are responsible for the local zones and doing automatic migration, threshold migration, demand migration and transparent recall.
Note that selective migration and selective recall can be performed on such file system only from the administrator of the global zone.

Here the link to the Solaris local zone support document:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...x.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.itspmgr.doc/b_hsmu56.htm
Hope this can help you too.

Thanks

Back