EXCLUDE based on current date?

GrumpyBob

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi

Every day, a few files are skipped on one of our nodes because they are in use. I’m not allowed to apply a blanket exclude to cover all such files but, as the files contain the current date, it occurs to me that what I could do (if possible) is apply some form of exclude that uses a variable re. the current date.

Here’s a typical example from the DSMERROR.LOG:

26-04-2012 01:27:49 ANS1228E Sending of object '\\cpfwm\d$\FWlogs\2012-04-26_000116_31.log' failed
26-04-2012 01:27:49 ANS4037E Object '\\cpfwm\d$\FWlogs\2012-04-26_000116_31.log' changed during processing. Object skipped.
26-04-2012 01:27:54 ANS1228E Sending of object '\\cpfwm\d$\FWlogs\2012-04-26_000116_31.loginitial_ptr' failed
26-04-2012 01:27:54 ANS4037E Object '\\cpfwm\d$\FWlogs\2012-04-26_000116_31.loginitial_ptr' changed during processing. Object skipped.
26-04-2012 01:28:06 ANS1802E Incremental backup of '\\cpfwm\d$' finished with 2 failure

So, ideally, what I would like to do is add EXCLUDE statements such as follow:

EXCLUDE “D:\FWlogs\<CURRENT_DATE>*.log”
EXCLUDE “D:\FWlogs\<CURRENT_DATE>*.loginitial_ptr”

Does anyone know if it is possibible to put such a thing as a variable based on date into an EXCLUDE statement and, if it is, what the correct syntax is?

The advantages of doing this would, as you’ve probably already worked out, be that:

- This node wouldn’t get flagged up every day as having an issue.

- The files excluded one day (because they contain the current date) would be backed up the next day (because they no longer contain the current date). This would leave me no worse off because the files containing the current date don’t get backed up anyway.

Any suggestions please?

PREDATAR Control23

Hi
I suggest to use SERIALIZATION mode DYNAMIC for log files:
- add second management class:
DEFINE MGMTCLASS <DOMAIN> <POLSET> XXX_mc2 DESC="MC for LOG files"
- define copy group:
DEFINE COPYGROUP <DOMAIN> <POLSET> XXX_mc2 VEREXIST=X VERDELETED=X RETEXTRA=X RETONLY=X DESTINATION=<pool> TYPE=BACKUP SERIALIZATION=DYNAMIC
- add to cloptset or dsm.opt(sys)
INCLUDE *:\...\FWlogs\...\* XXX_MC2
Efim

PREDATAR Control23

Hi Efim

Thanks very much for your response.

I'm concerned by comments I have found (such as those in the section Copy Serialization about dynamic serialization mode in the following:

http://www.urz.uni-heidelberg.de/ADSM/ibmdoc.tsm41/html/aix/winc/ans60012.htm

which state:

"Be careful when you select a management class containing a copy group that specifies shared dynamic or dynamic for serialization backup. If you select a management class that permits a file to back up or archive while it is in use, the backup version or archived copy stored on the server might be a fuzzy copy. A fuzzy copy is a backup version or archived copy that does not accurately reflect what is currently in the file. It might contain some, but not all, of the changes. If that is not acceptable, select a management class that creates a backup version or archive copy only if the file does not change during a backup or archive."

PREDATAR Control23

Hi
I know only one way to backup continuously changed file. It's SERIALIZATION=DYNAMIC or exclude it from backup (I think it's not good idea).
I suggest use it only for log files. You can lose several lines at the end of the file but it's absolutely acceptable for logs in the most cases.

Efim