Exclude a directiory in windows (dsm.opt)

khawts

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
http
We have a node that have two local drive (c and E) and a network drive N.(locally connect to the SAN)
When we go through the setup wizard, we pick "backup all local systems (checked the box) and we did not realized that it pick N drive too. (network drive)

Now we want to exclude that N drive and when I do to dsm.opt, I do not see any line that say backup C, E or N that I can get rid of N drive.

Question is what is the best way to edit to exclude that N drive? Using exclude dir, domain -n or any suggestions? Please let me know the exact syntax and where I need to put it on my dsm.opt files.

This is for windows client.

Thanks in advance.

You need to exclude it from the DOMAIN statement. By default windows backups up ALL-LOCAL file systems, so TSM sees that N: drive as local. Do this

DOMAIN C: E: -N:

Hi,
TSM doesn't backup by default network drives (or 'mapped drivers' if you wish). I think you are confusing a "SAN drive" with a network drive. A "SAN drive" is a LUN located in a storage system that can be located anywhere, presented to the OS as a local drive.
The instruction from ChadSmall should do the job.

Rudy

Or

DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL -N:

No, it doesn't matter where it is in the dsm.opt, as log as it has a line to itself.

If you ever attach another local drive, it will be backed up automatically, as opposed to the above (Chad's) example. This may be a positive or a negative ..

Last edited:
You need to exclude it from the DOMAIN statement. By default windows backups up ALL-LOCAL file systems, so TSM sees that N: drive as local. Do this

DOMAIN C: E: -N:

if you specify
DOMAIN c:
DOMAIN e:

DOMAIN ALL LOCAL default is automatically disabled, so there is no need of '-' option

Does this applies if u backing up the whole server only?

cos i only backup files in certain directory for example, D:\DBBACKUP\* D:\BACKUP\* >> D:\TSM.log
Do i need the DOMAIN ALL LOCAL in my .opt files too?

Do i need the DOMAIN ALL LOCAL in my .opt files too?
As in most cases, it depends.

If you are backing up data on all the local filesystems, you need "domain all-local". If you are only backing up data on specific filesystems, then you need "domain x: y: z:"

Edit to add: "domain all-local" is the default, so if that is the value you want to use, you don't even need it. The only time you need to specify the domain option is if you want something different than the default.

Back