Etherchannel

influx

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
I have an AIX server that has 6 gigabit ethernet cards. I would like to have all of these cards sit behind one IP address using etherchannel. Is this do-able. Is there a way to load-balance incoming traffic acrross those 6 ethernet cards behind that one IP address? Thanks.

I thought that AIX can support only up to three Etherchannels combined. Check on this.

The answer is yes, you can combine (edit) Ethernet cards to be one (edit) EtherChannel and have it load balanced. The load balancing will have to be defined on the host side.

On the switch side, the ports will be mapped as one with one IP address.

Last edited:
MikeyD,

I saw that. I'm not 100% sure what it means "one backup Ethernet adapter per Etherchannel"? What are they referring to when they state "backup"?
I have 8 NIC's and I want to create one Etherchannel that can write to 4 different TSM servers on the same AIX server. Is this do-able? That first bullet in the doc seems fuzzy to me. Thanks.

MikeyD,

I saw that. I'm not 100% sure what it means "one backup Ethernet adapter per Etherchannel"? What are they referring to when they state "backup"?
I have 8 NIC's and I want to create one Etherchannel that can write to 4 different TSM servers on the same AIX server. Is this do-able? That first bullet in the doc seems fuzzy to me. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure when they say backup they mean redundant NIC for if one fails.

There are 2 different types of etherchannel configurations with AIX. One is a ganging setup in which case you take a number of adapters, group them together as one logical adapter and all adapters are in use and loadbalance. The second configuration is a fail-over config. You take multiple adapters (normally 2) and create a new logical adapter. Only one adapter is active and AIX will fail over to the "backup" adapter if the primary fails.

It sounds like you want the ganging option.

-Aaron

bash-3.00$ lsattr -Elent6 -a adapter_names,backup_adapter
adapter_names ent1,ent3 EtherChannel Adapters True
backup_adapter ent2 Adapter used when whole channel fails True
bash-3.00$

All your primary adapters must be on the same switch. Your backup adapter can, and should, be on a different switch. DO coordinate this with your network guys. If you just start trying to do it without proper configuration of the switch, you'll cause an outage.

Back