1. Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.
    If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.
  2. Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)
    Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Etherchannel

Discussion in 'Networking' started by influx, Oct 14, 2008.

1. influx

influx Active Newcomer

I have an AIX server that has 6 gigabit ethernet cards. I would like to have all of these cards sit behind one IP address using etherchannel. Is this do-able. Is there a way to load-balance incoming traffic acrross those 6 ethernet cards behind that one IP address? Thanks.

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy ADSM.ORG Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    I thought that AIX can support only up to three Etherchannels combined. Check on this.

The answer is yes, you can combine (edit) Ethernet cards to be one (edit) EtherChannel and have it load balanced. The load balancing will have to be defined on the host side.

On the switch side, the ports will be mapped as one with one IP address.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  4. Mikey D

Mikey D ADSM.ORG Member

5. influx

influx Active Newcomer

MikeyD,

I saw that. I'm not 100% sure what it means "one backup Ethernet adapter per Etherchannel"? What are they referring to when they state "backup"?
    I have 8 NIC's and I want to create one Etherchannel that can write to 4 different TSM servers on the same AIX server. Is this do-able? That first bullet in the doc seems fuzzy to me. Thanks.

6. Mikey D

Mikey D ADSM.ORG Member

I'm pretty sure when they say backup they mean redundant NIC for if one fails.

7. heada

heada ADSM.ORG Moderator

Storage Administrator
    There are 2 different types of etherchannel configurations with AIX. One is a ganging setup in which case you take a number of adapters, group them together as one logical adapter and all adapters are in use and loadbalance. The second configuration is a fail-over config. You take multiple adapters (normally 2) and create a new logical adapter. Only one adapter is active and AIX will fail over to the "backup" adapter if the primary fails.

It sounds like you want the ganging option.

-Aaron

8. n9hmg

n9hmg ADSM.ORG Senior Member

unix admin
    bash-3.00$ lsattr -Elent6 -a adapter_names,backup_adapter
    adapter_names ent1,ent3 EtherChannel Adapters True
    backup_adapter ent2 Adapter used when whole channel fails True
    bash-3.00$

All your primary adapters must be on the same switch. Your backup adapter can, and should, be on a different switch. DO coordinate this with your network guys. If you just start trying to do it without proper configuration of the switch, you'll cause an outage.

: etherchannel