ESX sub capacity licensing

Nette

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi!
Anyone using ESX - sub capacity licensing model that will share expirense with us about counting cores eg. witch tools are used ?

Regards Nette

PREDATAR Control23

Hi Nette!

For sub-cap licencing, you need to use the IBM Licence Metric Tool (http://www-01.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/license-metric-tool/) to report on your core count.

It's being used in our environment at the moment and we seem to be getting decent results. Although that's considering we have had to go back and forward with IBM almost every week to get products added to the internal catalogue. For example, TDP Domino was missing from the catalogue for ages, certain processor types weren't getting detected correctly etc etc.

PREDATAR Control23

As far as I know in the 5.x environment, there isn't any sub-capacity licensing for ESX. You simply multiply the number of cores by the PVU for the BA client. This model will hold true regardless of the number of guest partition you created and backup.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for your info. We will go ahead an estimate if sub or full capacity licensing is the right model in our enviroment.

PREDATAR Control23

5.5 does have sub-capacity

But you have to apply for it, of course. I got the application from them, and I noticed that it seems to imply that either we use sub capacity for everything in our environment, or not. Well I would like sub-capacity for ESX, but gain nothing for our phys environment, so I am still reading the fine print.