Error whilst running retrieve

wat_tyler

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello again,
I have recently upgraded out TSM server to 5.5
Since the upgrade whenever I try to retrieve a file via the HSM gui it fails with "Tivoli Storage Manager failure".
I can see the data in the file space but can't retrieve either by opening the stub file or via the gui.

Have I forgotten to re-enable access to the TSM server, I've been wracking my mind and can't remember... can anyone help?

Last edited:
The HSM gui has been designed to administrate the HSM configuration. You can not recall migrated files from the TSM server using the HSM GUI.

So I assume that you meant the backup/archive GUI. And you wan't to recall a file from the HSM storage pool at the TSM server. The HSM daemons use the same mechanism to authenticate with the TSM server like the backup/archive client. Can you access the TSM server using that client? Or did you loose the password? If you lost the password then a TSM administrator has to set it again (admin command: "update node <your-node-name> <your-new-password>") at the TSM server. If you have set "passwordaccess" to "generate" then you have to su (switch to the root user) once afterwards on the TSM client system and access the TSM server once: e.g. issue "dsmc q fil". You will be prompted for the new password then and it will be stored locally.

Last edited:
Sorry Michael, but you are incorrect

With TSM 5.5 you CAN do a manual retrieve from the HSM gui. Done it many times. It's right there in the menu at the top. Even lets you sort for what files you wish to retrieve.

Back