ERROR: ANS1996W The volume points enumeration on „C:\“ volume failed

mngaccount

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Dear all,

if i use TSM 5.5.2.1 under Windows XP Pro SP3 as an administartor, there is no problem. As a normal user (the GUI has to be used by our normal users) I receive the following error message after starting the client:

ANS1996W The volume points enumeration on „C:\“ volume failed. Windows system error code: 5; reason: „Access is denied".

I can start the GUI, but backups doesn't work.

I granted the Windows-Group "Users" write access to the folder Program Files \Tivoli including subfolders. What is the problem, what can I do to make TSM usable for the normal users?

What account does the user use? If the user uses his/her account make sure they have operator rights. Or, you can try accessing the node by using the node's admin account to see if everything works.

Last edited:
what exactly do you mean, the windows group "backup operators"?

sorry, but where can i grant these rights? i can't see a group named "tsm operators"?

sorry, but where can i grant these rights? i can't see a group named "tsm operators"?

My mistake - not Operator but Node rights.

I assume you have setup an account for the user in TSM (see "help register admin" if you have not), right? See "help grant authority" to setup a user for Node rights.

sorry, it seems to me as it is a command for a server, but i need help for the client. the problem is, that we need to install tsm on every client and the client users have no administrator rights on their local windows xp machines. what is the right you need as a user to use tsm successfully?

sorry, it seems to me as it is a command for a server, but i need help for the client. the problem is, that we need to install tsm on every client and the client users have no administrator rights on their local windows xp machines. what is the right you need as a user to use tsm successfully?

As I have said, the user must be known to the TSM Server and therefore his/her account must be set or defined in TSM with NODE rights. This is what you must do so the user can use TSM.

This is aside from the Windows access issue - Windows backup rights should do it.

Back