Encryption - Hardware vs Software

nbs03

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Does anyone have experience encrypting data using hardware encryptors or the TSM software encryption?

I am researching the pros and cons of each method and would appreciate any real user experience/opinions.

Some basic questions:

- What is the observed impact of 56 or 128 bit TSM encryption on client backup and restore speed and tape capacity utilization?

- Are there any issues using any of the Data protection modules (i.e. TDP for R/3 or Oracle)?

- If the key is stored on the client does that key change when the client pasword changes? Would this cause a problem with recovery of old data stored under the old password?

- Are there any key problems when using virtual node ?

- Any issues recovering AIX/Linux data to a Solaris host and vice versa?

- Are there any compatability issues with hardware encryptors?

- Have you found any Redbooks or other references to tape encryption that you found usefull?

Thanks in advance

neilb

neil,

did you get any answers? being in healthcare i am looking into data encryption hardware vs software, can find many many options but not any real world experiences

thanks,

BC

BC,

I will be implementing TS1120 with encryption during the next 2 months and will let you know how things are going.

It is kind of ironic that a key member of my implementation team is leaving next week for a unix job at a healthcare facility and you are also in that area - so it goes....

Cheers,

Neil

Neil,

I can give a few insights about my encryption experience in my TSM environment. I don't know if this would be what you are looking for.

My current system is AES 128 (software) enabled. I have tried timing the backup with and without encryption but the delay is insignificant compared to the benefits. Again, I don't know if this is what you are after.

From my limited interaction with the password environment, the key seems to be the same every time a password is changed. This would be logical since if the key is changed, then the previous backup cannot be decrypted anymore.

There seems to be no effect for TDP-enabled clients.

I don't know about virtual nodes.

I have not used hardware encryptors on TSM but my guess is that the speed of encrypting/decrypting depends on the processor speed and complexity - number of bits - of the encryption strength. I am basing this on my other experience with non-TSM environments. I would also dare to say that the data should not be affected while passing it through a hardware encryptor.

I don't know of any Red books about these topics discussed general.

By the way, need extra hands? I am looking for other opportunities.

Last edited:
Back