Encrypting backupsets

umur

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering this: is there a way to encrypt a backupset?

To be more spesific, I don't want to back up encrypted data, I want to back up normally and encrypt after backup while copying to a backupset. Maybe a drive encryption would help? But then I'd have to dedicate this drive to backupset copies, right? which is not the way TSM works, I think.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
To encrypt a backupset you would have to do it at a drive level or client level not a server level. I think drive/library level would work best since a backupset is meant to be able to restore without a TSM server, and I'm not quite sure how TSM handles the client based encryption. I think there is still a query of the TSM server for the key so library/drive would be the best method I believe.

Hi All,

Can anyone post which method is the best for Backupset encryption among LME(library talks to EKM host for the key) and SME (in which atape devdrvr talks to EKM host for the key)..... and why?

We are planning to implement encryption for backupsets but not sure where/how to start on sending keys to DR.
To dr site, is it ok to send EKM host backup for recvering encrypted data or we need to send anything else with backupsets?

Any help is appreciated.

Back