1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Encrypting backupsets

Discussion in 'BCP / DRP' started by umur, Oct 17, 2008.

1. umur

umur New Member

Backup and Recovery Team Leader
    Hello,

I was wondering this: is there a way to encrypt a backupset?

To be more spesific, I don't want to back up encrypted data, I want to back up normally and encrypt after backup while copying to a backupset. Maybe a drive encryption would help? But then I'd have to dedicate this drive to backupset copies, right? which is not the way TSM works, I think.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  3. n9hmg

n9hmg Senior Member

unix admin
    GnuPG works pretty well. Just generate to file, gpg that, and archive that to tape.
    Don't lose your key.

4. chad_small

chad_small Moderator

AIX/SAN/TSM
    To encrypt a backupset you would have to do it at a drive level or client level not a server level. I think drive/library level would work best since a backupset is meant to be able to restore without a TSM server, and I'm not quite sure how TSM handles the client based encryption. I think there is still a query of the TSM server for the key so library/drive would be the best method I believe.

5. reddy

reddy New Member

Hi All,

Can anyone post which method is the best for Backupset encryption among LME(library talks to EKM host for the key) and SME (in which atape devdrvr talks to EKM host for the key)..... and why?

We are planning to implement encryption for backupsets but not sure where/how to start on sending keys to DR.
    To dr site, is it ok to send EKM host backup for recvering encrypted data or we need to send anything else with backupsets?

Any help is appreciated.

: encryption