• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

EMC Networker for large enterprises?

mikeymac

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Hi, there!

We'll be evaluating EMC Networker for a very specific use case (protecting long-term data on an Isilon cluster). As part of the POC, I plan to test Networker's efficacy as a traditional backup product.

I've never worked with Networker myself, but I am getting some feedback from folks within my organization that it is a very limited product suited only to small/medium businesses.

What has been the experience of adsm.org members?

Any insight is appreciated.

moon-buddy

ADSM.ORG Moderator
I would not put long term backup on an expensive device. If the intent is long term (> than 1 year), I would consider a private Cloud storage (more backup/archive and minimal restore/retrieval).

While the restore sucks at 7.1.6, TSM 7.1.7 (soon out) promises correction of this issue.

mikeymac

ADSM.ORG Moderator
I would not put long term backup on an expensive device. If the intent is long term (> than 1 year), I would consider a private Cloud storage (more backup/archive and minimal restore/retrieval).

While the restore sucks at 7.1.6, TSM 7.1.7 (soon out) promises correction of this issue.
Hi, moon-buddy!

We're looking at EMC Networker for a very specific use case. TSM simply isn'tcapable of protecting the Isilon in the manner we require (nor will it in the foreseeable future, per their product manager). So we had to figure out a way to do it. We'll be taping out the long-term data from Networker, so no issue there.

serhiyh

ADSM.ORG Member
Hi mikeymac!
We use both TSM and Networker in our environment. My understanding you will be backing up Isilon using NDMP accelerator?
As for traditional backups - I see TSM a better solution due to stability and flexibility in big environments. Despite EMC's advantage of owning VMWare...
Comparison will depend on storage you use, retention time (and in relation to this backup schedule you choosing in Networker - weekly full/ monthly or other...), proportion of VM vs physical backups and many other factors.
Support satisfaction is about the same.

mikeymac

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Hi mikeymac!
We use both TSM and Networker in our environment. My understanding you will be backing up Isilon using NDMP accelerator?
As for traditional backups - I see TSM a better solution due to stability and flexibility in big environments. Despite EMC's advantage of owning VMWare...
Comparison will depend on storage you use, retention time (and in relation to this backup schedule you choosing in Networker - weekly full/ monthly or other...), proportion of VM vs physical backups and many other factors.
Support satisfaction is about the same.
Thank you for your thoughtful response!

Our Isilon clusters have backup accelerators built in. This is different than the NDMP accelerators that you are referring to, but will work similarly for our purposes. The backup accelerators are zoned up to the tape library....EMC Networker will work as the media manager for a partition in the library (in the same manner that TSM currently does). To be frank, I think TSM is nearing end-of-life at my shop. It's not a question of "if", it's a question of "when and with what". We're POCing Veeam on the VMware side (which is most of our environment) and something else to protect our UNIX servers. Multiple backup products adds complexity, of course, but I strongly suspect we'll end up with at least two backup systems. Thanks for your helpful feedback!

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 48 63.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 9.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sag