EMC DataDomain Configuration

sramb1

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello All,

We want to configure TSM DataDomain in our environment. Could you please help me getting the documentation.

Please let me know, how to configure it from the scratch.

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards,
sramb1

PREDATAR Control23

TSM Configuration is same as how you configure a library. this is an rough view.
- Create a VTL via DD Enterprise manager
- Add Tapes via DD Enterprise manager
- Map the wwn's via DD Enterprise manager
- Define Tape drives on DD Enterprise manager
- Define the library, tape drives and paths on TSM server
- Backup to VTL

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks a lot for the information Heam... Could you please provide a document, if you any.

Many thanks in advance

Thanks
SRAMB1

PREDATAR Control23

Don't forget to use the relabelscratch option=yes, to release the space from tapes on DD.

PREDATAR Control23

Something else to consider with the newer models (that I know of) for DataDomain / TSM Setup..

We are using data domain (DD990's) back end for the TSM Servers here. (TSM 6.2.x) running on AIX.
We initially looked at setting them up as VTL's, but after talking with the EMC Reps we have gone simply using the DD as a target point for the backups..
we have 5 NFS mounts defined on the AIX box, that go to 2 containers on the data domain. TSM dev class set up -:
4 for data store, and one for the target for database backups ( and dev / vol config ) .

Device Class Name: DD990_DEVFILE_POOL
Device Access Strategy: Sequential
Storage Pool Count: 1
Device Type: FILE
Format: DRIVE
Est/Max Capacity (MB): 35,840.0
Mount Limit: 300
Directory: /tsm/TSMPROD/TSMOPAPBKUP,/tsm/TSMPROD/TSMOPAPBKUP2,/tsm/TSMPROD/TSMOPAPBKUP3,/tsm/TSMP-
ROD/TSMOPAPBKUP4

We have only had this running for about 2 months, but have had no issues with the volumes deleting /free'ing up space etc.

benifit so far, not having to worry about drive allocations etc in the VTL.
- we also still get the dedup of all the data, and the Datadomain back end replication to the DR site.
This eliminated the need for Fibre connection, we simple use the 10GbEthernet, with the 1GB for replication and management.

Something else to consider maybe.

PREDATAR Control23

To get documentation, go to Data Domain support web site and create your account there. after activation of your account, you can access DD documentation. i created my account for free up there.

PREDATAR Control23

You need to head to my.datadomain.com which may redirect you to https://powerlink.emc.com/ ( I know EMC is switching over)
Either way you need a valid product serial to get DD manuals etc.
Good luck,
To get documentation, go to Data Domain support web site and create your account there. after activation of your account, you can access DD documentation. i created my account for free up there.

PREDATAR Control23

We're running TSM v6.2.3 on an AIX P7 box, I configured the SAN client to the DD box, created the drives, zoned te WWN, discovered the devices in AIX. Unfortunately I do not see the /dev/lb0 (Library). While looking in the DD box, I see the changer, however it has NO WWN.

1. What are you emulating? (I'm hearing NOW I have to emulate a TS3500 because I'm on a p7 instead of a p7
2. How do you discover the changer if option 1 is false?

Note all 200 drives have been mapped to he corresponding WWN and rmt #

Pls help.