1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Duplication of backup tape fail repeatedly

Discussion in 'Symantec NetBackup' started by OS1, Oct 15, 2007.

1. OS1

OS1 New Member

Why are my duplication of tape backup failing?
    I'm running Netbackup 6.0 MP4 with one master (w2k3) and three media (wk2&w2k3) servers and backups/duplication are to Adic robotic tape library. I have no problems running any of my backup jobs however when I try to run the duplication on sunday morning the duplication jobs abnormal end. After multiple restarts over a 24hr period they will eventually complete. Problem started in september, I cannot identify any changes to my servers or the network. Help!

3. ttrinh7975

ttrinh7975 Senior Member

System Programmer II/ Storage Admin
    OS1-

Like any backup, check the scheduling for your 2nd backup instance.
    If the 1st backup have not finish, the 2nd will automatically failed.

If you keep logs for the weekend backup, check the log to see when the 1st backup
    instant finish. Then schedule the 2nd backup instant about 1/2 or 1 hour after the
    1st backup finish.

If not, you can write a script to have the 2nd backup wait till the 1st backup instant
    backup complete.

4. OS1

OS1 New Member

I have no problems with the Daily/Weekly/Monthly backups, its the duplication of backup tapes that quit without finishing the duplication. I normally wait 1 hour after the last backup completes before I start the duplication of the backup tapes. The duplication will run for varying periods of time before failing. Doesn't matter if I start duplicating with the three storage unit around the same time or if I start different storage units after the failure of another storage unit.

5. sgabriel62

sgabriel62 Senior Member

Principal of SGSolutions Inc.; Systems Architect &
    Contact Veritas technical support page or even give them a hollar - you may need a tech bulletin update. When this duplication is running, do you have any other admin process that has a higher priority or has taken a tape drive from you in any fashion?
    Lastly - do you have enough scratch media. Have you elected to duplicate at the filespace level vs the entire pool - perhaps you are experiencing what we in TSM experience in our older exports.
    Give Veritas a go - then come back and tell us what the fix was - I am sure we are all curious.
    good luck

6. OS1

OS1 New Member

Resolved Duplication Issue

All,

With the help of Symantec, the problem was solved by 1. Upgrading the NIC drivers on the Master and Media servers. 2. Having the Information Assurance team stop scanning my servers while I'm running duplication. I think solution 2 was the biggest problem anyway the problem has not reoccured since applying these two solutions.
    Thanks for the help all.

7. noobie2tsm

noobie2tsm New Member

library

Have you checked your library? Assuming you have multiple drives in it, have you tested the drives? possibly the dup is using a drive the backup is not?