dummy-proof onsite/offsite tape management?

dchang813

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi--

Our operators are having a hard time dealing with the various commands and states used by DRM to manage the tapes as they move onsite and offsite. Is there are solution out there that makes it all dummy-proof (and I mean so-simple-a-monkey-can-operate-it)? The features I need are:

1) Easy tracking of which tapes are supposed to be in the library, which are supposed to be sent offsite, which are actually offsite, which are to be recalled, and which are onsite and ready for check-in.

2) One-click check-in and check-out of tapes from several TSM servers sharing the same library.

3) An easy-to-understand graphical view of what cartridges are where.

Any recommendations? I looked at Auto Vault, and it doesn't seem to focus on the tape management part.

Thanks!

Hi -- I agree that TSM can be a bit overwhelming for an operator, and I addressed this issue by writting a set of perl scripts to automate the processing of tape volumes. I made it highly modular, and rather adaptable.

Overall, I agree with the other posters in automating everything and giving the reports to the operaters to handle.

Andy.

:)

Thanks for the answers! I forgot to mention that we already have some perl scripts written that generate the reports (recall list, outgoing list, etc.), and we are trying out TSMManager. The problems we're facing--if you can believe it--are that the operators either don't understand or don't care enough to follow the reports carefully enough. For instance, they print out the recall list for each of our two TSM servers and send that to Iron Mountain. Then, when the tapes get back, they have to segregate the tapes into "tsm1" and "tsm2" tapes. Often, they don't do this carefully enough, and the wrong tapes get checked into the wrong servers, which means that we have to do cleanup work after they've screwed things up. Any suggestions or ideas on how we can prevent the operators from botching the tape/vault management, even though everything is spelled out for them already? Thanks!

First off, hire better operators and make them accountable for the mistakes they make.

Since this activity must include a human, there is no simple answer except getting one that is competent enough for the task. You could create an audit script that runs after the check-in. Check for volumes that do not belong in TSM1 (IE certain number ranges or volume names) and eject them so they can be put into TSM2.

Document these so you can move towards correcting the personnel problems you appear to have there.

:confused:

when the tapes are ejected from tsm1 write tsm1 on it and same for tsm2. Then if they dont load the tapes right you have an excuse to complain to them that they arent paying attention to their work and its getting sloppy. Also include them in on the cleanup process if they screw it up. I know it always makes my operators happy when i make them help me fix their messups. :lol:

Yeah, we're getting really high turnover in our operators group already. (>50%!! The problem here is that their managers have installed new "blame-game" policies and paperwork that have driven out all the good, veteran operators who we could rely on to handle the tapes right. What we really need to do is fire the two managers in charge of that group, but we can't prove that they are the cause of the problem, even though they are...)

So, I have to find some solution that we can rely on to defend ourselves from their "who cares?" morale problem.

Guess I'll have to write more intelligence into the perl scripts that we have on hand...

Thanks for all your help, everybody!

while i cant really answer your question we have similer problems due to inexperience. I did make a perl script to make a chart outlining visually where my files are located. Im just starting to use the new site and am not sure where to post it..

Its saved me many hours of sticking my head in the 3583 library to see whats where...

-mike

Hi

The best is to close the tape library and don't move the tape!

This is not a cheap solution, but keeps your library closed and (main reason) keeps your archive data alive. That means: You have to move data on tapes regulary that you don't get a loss of data just because of tape errors. And the risk of tape erros rises when the data on it don't get moved. So the reclamation in TSM is not only to get free tapes again, but also to keep the data in movement, to notice tape errors (and thus avoid data loss) and to thus safe the data on the tapes.

Opening the Library and getting out tapes is extensive and ths expensive. :) :)

Back