Dual core licensing

crazymad

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I've got a question regarding licensing of dual core processors (x86) - how many licenses do I need for a dual-core processor - 1 or 2?

My client has a linux TSM server with single core AMD Athlon 64. With growing ammounts of data, the time of upgrade has come. If we upgrade the processor to dual-core, do or do not we complain the original license (do we need to buy another license for processor)? It's still one physical processor, but 2 logical ones.. I'm not sure here, please advise.

Thank you

I was told today by TSM TechLine that license is still by CPU/processor and not by core. Although that may change sometime in the future, as of now dual-core or quad-core still just counts as one processor. Client license is only for single-user system (a laptop or a desktop that does not provide services to other systems). Kinda make you wonder if a MS-windows shared folder is a "service". :confused:

IBM software licensing across the range has changed from per processor (which in IBM terms is per core) to processor value units dependent upon chip architecture.
Theres more info about this under passport advantage.

Hello,

We ended up having IBM sort it out for us. We gave them the raw numbers and they gave us the required liceses needed. The whole per value unit licensing structure had us confused a little bit. Anyway using IBM ended up being the easiest way to get accurate numbers. The above link helped us understand it though so I'd review that as well.

Last edited:
Back