DSMSERV FORMAT or LOADFORMAT to re-create missing log files?

Pebble

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
We have an old TSM 5.4.3.0 server that I am trying to recover, some of the log files (which were not being mirrored) were on a disk drive that failed. I have replaced the drive and am now trying to perform a DB restore but the server is reporting that it is unable to open the log files as they do not exist (understandable as it is an empty replacement disk).

What is the correct way to re-create the log files so that I can perform a db restore? I am not sure whether I should perform a DSMSERV FORMAT, or DSMSERV LOADFORMAT in order to create the files, and does it need to be done for all database and log files, even those that already exist, i.e. delete the existing database and log files (I have an actual file copy of the remaining db/log files) and then issue the FORMAT or LOADFORMAT command to create the files?

Following that I would then use DSMSERV RESTORE DB.

Thanks

Are you asking how to create a new LOG volume or recreate an existing LOG volume from backup?

If you are asking about the former, then use DSMSERV FORMAT. If you need to recreate the LOG volume from backup, you must have the LOG volumes first before you can restore. If you don't have the LOG volumes, do the FORMAT.

Back