DSMC I ....... hangs.....

cwilloug

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Things that make you go hummmm......

I upgraded my TSM server (AIX) from 5.4.1 to 5.5.0 then to 5.5.2, everything when very nice and smooth, backups are running fine too, and all my daily maintenance procedures are working as well.

Today someone had a question about what is being backed up on box "X", a Red Hat Linux
box with the 5.4 client running.

So the admin logs into the system, and for giggles does > dsmc i

and it sits there,,,,,, for an hour......... and then logs off, no activity, no errors, no nothing.

Anyone else have this problem? Gonna update the client, and see if there are any other clients running red hat doing the same thing.

So the admin logs into the system, and for giggles does > dsmc i

and it sits there,,,,,, for an hour......... and then logs off, no activity, no errors, no nothing.

Anyone else have this problem? Gonna update the client, and see if there are any other clients running red hat doing the same thing.

dsmc i <what>? It was waiting for another entry.

Nope - its not waiting for another entry, dsmc - logs into the tsm server / starts a session
i - starts an incremental backup. This has been done on several other systems, and a incremental backup kicks off right away, not this long delay / timeout that we are currently seeing.

Nope - its not waiting for another entry, dsmc - logs into the tsm server / starts a session
i - starts an incremental backup. This has been done on several other systems, and a incremental backup kicks off right away, not this long delay / timeout that we are currently seeing.

Not to sound stupid but was the Enter key pressed? Unless there is something wrong with the binaries, dsmc i should do it.

Have you tried since then? Rebooted the system?

Was there a session on the TSM server? If so, what was it's state? (media wait, idle wait, etc)

-Aaron

lol,,, yes, the enter key was pressed, and it is a production box, so we can't reboot it during the day.

Yes there was a session open......

5,497 Tcp/Ip IdleW 39.0 M 505 1.8 K Node Linux86

nothing happened but the wait time increased.... and there's not much going on the TSM server either. I've never seen it do this before

Since it was an incremental, it looks like it was scanning the filesystems for files to backup. Try creating a file or two (touch {file}) and then re-run the backup. You could also change the dsm.opt file and remove the "quiet" option to get the client to be more verbose about what it is doing.

-Aaron

what was the client doing when they ran the backup? Was it overly taxed or did you see high I/O levels?

-Aaron

Do you see different activity when you run "dsmc backup" as root?

-Aaron

Ok, the admin of the problem box in question just updated the client to 5.5.2 and the dsmc i command works just fine, goes right into showing what files / directories are being searched / backed up. There must be some issue with the 5.4.2 client, RH, and TSM server 5.5.2.0.

Back